C2 Install & Pictures: 85,000 miles on

Started by spit, October 19, 2005, 22:04

northernalex

It wont fit in the 2? (the gearbox)?

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

aaronjb

The shifter shaft comes out of the wrong side of the gearbox (well, it comes out upward rather than to the rear like ours).

Relatively easy fix, though - get a machined shift shaft from LR and then swap that and the 5 speed shifter housing etc over to the 6 speed box.

That's what they have to do in the US since no Spyder (except SMT) ever came with the 6 speed gearbox IIRC.

Considering all the other parts you need for a 2ZZ swap (dipstick tube, engine mount bridge, exhaust manifold, ECU, drill the engine for the driveshaft carrier) a modified shift shaft doesn't seem like too big a deal to me..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"could n/a be destiny for e11 and an old geezer like meself?

As for alternatives - I'll think about that once I've established what has gone on today.

Sorry to hear of your sad loss.

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"could n/a be destiny for e11 and an old geezer like meself?

As for alternatives - I'll think about that once I've established what has gone on today.

Sorry to hear of your sad loss  s:( :( s:(  
Can't you make room for something like this...

...if anyone can, you can  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

spit

Ooo handy for making toast Gav   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Well, I'm getting somewhere. For starters, I sorted out the AZ-3 last night and today it breezed the MOT and is officially back on the road. Yay.

As for the '2, I've only gone semi-invasive so far.

No external signs of leaks, fluid loss or damage.

Plugs are as expected and a peep into the bores is inconclusively usual  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Took the rocker cover off last night and at first glance everything looks healthy and lubed. Chain tensioner is tensioning and the damper and slipper are intact as far as I can see.

However, I noticed some slack on the chain. Had the tensioner out and it seems to be holding oil OK, ratcheting and doing its job. I've never had an issue with tensioner rattle but for the sake of 25 quid, and because its an original fitting, I've ordered another one to see if it has a bit more bite to it.

Also been in touch with ASBO Phil. We replaced his OP gauge with a less cheapo version a few weeks ago, so I'm gonna borrow the old one and see what the pump is putting out.

It'll be a few days before everything arrives, but as I mentioned earlier the simple stuff is worth a punt. I'd be surprised if the grunge to a halt is entirely down to a failure of the chain mechanism but I'd be thrilled if this boostie saga has yet another twist to it. We'll see  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

VVT-i

2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

SteveJ

Quote from: "spit"Took the rocker cover off last night and at first glance everything looks healthy and lubed. Chain tensioner is tensioning and the damper and slipper are intact as far as I can see.

However, I noticed some slack on the chain. Had the tensioner out and it seems to be holding oil OK, ratcheting and doing its job. I've never had an issue with tensioner rattle but for the sake of 25 quid, and because its an original fitting, I've ordered another one to see if it has a bit more bite to it.

If the chain has gone loose then there is a pretty good chance that it has jumped a tooth on one of the cams - this could have resulted in the intake or exhaust valves remaining open during the compression part of the cycle which would result in the whistling noise you have been hearing.

One thing I would say is if the chain is in any way suspect dont be tempted to run the engine at all until you have checked the relative timing of the cams to the crank as if it jumps again then valves and pistons may start getting intimate with one another. A quick check would be to make sure the timing marks on the cams both point verticaly at the same time.

If the chain has jumped then change it - it aint worth keeping as it's almost certainly past it's sell-by date.

HTH

spit

Thanks Steve. Out of interest, is there any guidance on stretch or lateral play limits to check with our timing chain, or is it just subject to a routine change?

Chris at cheaptoyotaparts has quoted 89 quid delivered for a new chain. Thats not half bad.

Anonymous

Hi Ste

I hope that the chain is the root of your problem, but if it as jumped a link then there is a good chance that the tensioner is worn - tramlined, (I'm not talking about the piston bye the way). Can the tensioner be brought as well???

Also is it an engine out job to replace it or can you get access while still in the car?

Good luck
Rob

SteveJ

Quote from: "spit"Thanks Steve. Out of interest, is there any guidance on stretch or lateral play limits to check with our timing chain, or is it just subject to a routine change?

Chris at cheaptoyotaparts has quoted 89 quid delivered for a new chain. Thats not half bad.

Yes there are limits detailed in the BGB (dont have access to my copy until the weekend, but if no-one else has sent you a copy of the relevant bits before then let me know and I will PM it over)

If you are changing the chain, then the BGB highly recommends renewing all other parts associated with it - slipper, guide, tensioner etc. Also as you are removing the main crank pulley, I would renew the seal in the timing chain cover.

I believe it can be done with the engine in - it's possible to change the oil pump in-situ and you have to remove the timing chain to get to that.

Access to the area on the other hand is going to be fiddly to say the least! Given you dont have to rush to do this, I would highly recommend getting the engine out - that way you can be sure that the cover is sealed back on properly.

HTH

SteveJ

PS. The 1ZZ is an 'interferance' engine (ie. the valves and pistons CAN come into contact with one-another if the cam timing is too far out) that's why I said dont be tempted to run the engine until you are sure the cam <--> crank timing is still OK.

PPS.
Quote from: "FGRob"I hope that the chain is the root of your problem, but if it as jumped a link then there is a good chance that the tensioner is worn - tramlined, (I'm not talking about the piston bye the way). Can the tensioner be brought as well???

The bit you are referring to Rob is called the slipper in the BGB

Anonymous

That all sounds quite promising and less terminal than before  s:) :) s:)  
Best of luck getting it sorted and back on the road soon. Not sure if there's anything I can do to help  s:?: :?: s:?:   but if you think of something feel free to give me a shout...

spit

Its pure speculation at this point Gav - but because oil pressure and chain tension are questionnable I want to rule them out before moving on. If they give me some pointers, woohoo, but not holding my breath just yet!

This came on instantaneously which leads me to think that there's something else lurking, rather than an old age wear thing. The tensioner ratchet holds firm, so an instant slip (or slap!) on the chain is unlikely.

Steve, thanks for the timing marks tip ... I'll be sure to check.

Found the chain wear details:

- length of 16 links with the chain fully stretched - maximum chain elongation: 122.6 mm.

- minimum sprocket diameter (w/ Chain): Camshaft 97.3 mm,
    Crankshaft 51.6 mm.

- slipper and vibration damper maximum wear: 1.0 mm.

.... but if I take them off to inspect, I might as well replace  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

that's why I said "sounds"   s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:

DannyN

So there is a possibility that it might not be death for the old girl...

merely a dead leg   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

firepower

sorry to hear about your engine problems ste   s:( :( s:(   fingers crossed for a easy fix
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Chris_h

Any more news of pinky Ste?

Hope the old girl can be firing again by next weekend - I am sure your kitchen has lots of greasy bits on the worktops   s:D :D s:D
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

spit

I'm still waiting for the parts  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  They've been delayed due to food poisoning and server problems  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Hoping the tensioner will arrive tomorrow and the sandwich plate before the week is out.

Gonna double-check the timing marks tonight.

spit

Quick update.

Whatever this problem is, its not terminal. Yay. She starts, she runs, she boosts. The noise is intermittent and remains very difficult to locate. Pumps are pumping and there's no sign of oil starvation or heat damage at either end, but I'm feeling the benefit of new big ends and chain tensioner  s8) 8) s8)  .

Followers may be suspect but I'm not sure why they'd give up instantaneously or fix themselves  s:? :? s:?  

So, a decision. Rather than wait for a rear clip I'm biting the bullet and going for a strip and rebuild. Oil consumption needs to be sorted in any case, so while I'm in bits I'll be renewing the vulnerable and tired stuff.

With thanks to Nic for his support, we bimbled over to Charlesworth yesterday. I considered doing this at home but Steve has kindly offered his much better facilities and expertise to help me out. I'll tootle over there on my days off.

Looks like I'll have to keep Steve on a tight lead - he's already planning mods!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

If anyone wants photos of anything specific during strip or rebuild, please shout up and I'll see what I can do.

Suggestions of what to renew are welcomed too.

kanujunkie

MWR 1.93L conversion  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "kanujunkie"MWR 1.93L conversion  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Hey, he's trying to reduce oil consumption!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

kanujunkie

but it will once the pistons are sealing better  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Wabbitkilla

From several peoples' experience those pistons don't seal very well.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

You hear about one or two on SC who have to top up after a track day, or even during it!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Chris_h

Good news (I think) Ste - if you need a spanner holder, give us a shout.

Do you think you will be mobile for the camping weekend?
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

VVT-i

Steve (at Charlesworth) will be getting sick looking at Roadsters  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Good to see you will be back on the road with it soon Ste.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

enid_b

Quote from: "Chris_h"Good news (I think) Ste - if you need a spanner holder, give us a shout.

+1

J
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Tags: