Drain holes behind side air vents

Started by JohnGee, July 23, 2021, 14:21

JohnGee

I've had the car just over a couple of years, so decided that having a look at and a clean out of the drain holes behind the side air vents might be a good idea (and a bit overdue).

Tackled the near side first, all went to plan, white clips played along with me, quite a bit of debris removed with bent wire and hoover. Got the air vent back on, better fit than before, don't think one of the lugs was properly engaged previously.

Off side - different story. One of the white clips was (already) damaged and ineffective, no cover flap present, "mesh" immediately next to where cover flap should have been was seriously mangled, but no debris apparent at all, see most of that below.

There wasn't a lot of debris in the sill area of the car, I tried using the wire but could recover no debris at all from further within the pipework, I tried using the hoover, not sure if that was any more successful, I suspect not.

So my questions are,

• Is the missing cover flap simply a "nice to have" or is it of more fundamental importance?
  • If important, do I simply source from a car salvage yard. If people had tried that and failed, has anyone sourced a "new" flap recently?
  • Is the mesh important? Does this simply stop any sizeable solid material from falling into the sill void, sitting there damp and becoming a corrosion risk?
  • Has anyone replaced their white clips with these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291731628038. Successful?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

John

2006 Roadster, manual, leather, in Sable

Joesson

@JohnGee
My drain cleaning exploit resulted in my loosing a spacer piece in the void. I replaced that with a section of ball point pen barrel.
The flap I believe is to stop ingress from outside and may prevent / reduce possible insect colonisation.
I was otherwise fortunate in my venture and so cannot offer further, other than that www.vehicleclips.co.uk offer a wide range of clips.

JohnGee

@Joesson

Yes, I spotted the spacer piece in the body of each intake, near side was a bit loose, but stayed in place, off side was much more secure.

Re colonisation, with global warming, goodness only knows what type of creatures will be living / thriving / breeding in my car in the near future!

Will have a look at the site you suggest.

Thanks for your help.

John

Joesson

@JohnGee
T'was my offside spacer that was loose and was lost!

JohnGee

Quote from: Joesson on July 23, 2021, 15:44@JohnGee

Good job your ingenuity - that was a very neat solution - got you out of trouble.

John

Gaz mr-s

You're quite lucky they weren't worse John having not been touched in two years.... either the car is garaged or never parked near trees....?
If you pour water at the hood 'corners' it should immediately appear on the ground. 
You were maybe using a 'soft' wire, but be careful, - the drain bags are easily punctured.

Joesson

Quote from: JohnGee on July 23, 2021, 15:57

Good job your ingenuity - that was a very neat solution - got you out of trouble.

Thank you. But, I was the only one present when the original was lost!

JohnGee

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on July 23, 2021, 16:18You're quite lucky they weren't worse John having not been touched in two years.... either the car is garaged or never parked near trees....?
If you pour water at the hood 'corners' it should immediately appear on the ground. 
You were maybe using a 'soft' wire, but be careful, - the drain bags are easily punctured.

Yes, certainly garaged for last 2 years and I understood the previous owner garaged it as well. Will get a jug of water and see what happens ...

John

JohnGee

Quote from: Joesson on July 23, 2021, 16:29

Don't be so hard on yourself - you exhibited near genius!

John

Joesson

Quote from: JohnGee on July 23, 2021, 16:44

OK I'll settle for being nearly a genius!
As a Sales Trainer once said, "Never look surprised when the buyer gives you the order".

JohnGee

Quote from: Joesson on July 23, 2021, 17:30

As a Sales Trainer once said, "Never look surprised when the buyer gives you the order".

Apologies, typo, I meant to say you were probably near a genius when you came up with that idea. Sorry.

John

Joesson

Quote from: JohnGee on July 23, 2021, 19:15
Quote from: Joesson on July 23, 2021, 17:30

Apologies, typo, I meant to say you were probably near a genius when you came up with that idea. Sorry.

No apologies necessary. Near/ nearly, genius and reference to myself on the same page even, where were you when I needed encouragement?

JohnGee

Quote from: Joesson on July 23, 2021, 19:24No apologies necessary. Near/ nearly, genius and reference to myself on the same page even, where were you when I needed encouragement?

Somehow, I doubt that you've ever needed encouragement.

I was probably at the Horatio P Farnhill Home for the Bewildered, as an inmate, not a member of staff.

John

Tags: