Ignition key.

Started by Chilli Girl, July 20, 2021, 21:11

Chilli Girl

The last couple of days I've had difficulties getting the key out of the ignition when I park up.  I'll give the key a good clean first and see if that helps and perhaps a small squirt of WD afterwards.  Hoping this will solve the problem. :o Hope it's nothing more serious.  I will also try the spare key too.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

jonbill

Too much cleaning.

Chilli Girl

She's just not used to it, is she @jonbill? ;)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

jonbill

treat 'em mean to keep 'em keen 😜

Joesson

Quote from: Chilli Girl on July 20, 2021, 21:11The last couple of days I've had difficulties getting the key out of the ignition when I park up.  I'll give the key a good clean first and see if that helps and perhaps a small squirt of WD afterwards.  Hoping this will solve the problem. :o Hope it's nothing more serious.  I will also try the spare key too.

In the distant past I recall a similar problem with one of my Company cars. A jiggle of the steering wheel released the key.

Topdownman

I would think a light metal polish would help the key slip in and out. I dont like to put anything oily in locks in case that attracts dirt leading to wear. I have used pencil lead (graphite) in the past, just rub the tip of a pencil on the key before putting it in.

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Carolyn

Quote from: Topdownman on July 21, 2021, 07:13I would think a light metal polish would help the key slip in and out. I dont like to put anything oily in locks in case that attracts dirt leading to wear. I have used pencil lead (graphite) in the past, just rub the tip of a pencil on the key before putting it in.

Yep - graphite is the stuff for locks. I have a small bottle of powdered graphite I(readily available), as used by locksmiths.

Oil and locks do not go well together over time.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Chilli Girl

Used the spare key this morning, no problem so will sort the other key tonight. Thanks for your advice on this. ;D

Tags: