Engine lid strut

Started by Chilli Girl, July 12, 2021, 18:53

Chilli Girl

It just came off in my hand officer :o   Someone in the past has attempted to put superglue on it but it finally gave way this evening.  It's a plastic circular trim that fits flush to the bodywork - does anyone have any other ideas other than using glue again to fix it.  Before anyone mentions get a gas strut one, I'm not interested in that mod - this little car has had more mods in the past than tanks of fuel and I just want to get her back looking the way she should.  Here's a pic.  I've removed it entirely now and cleaned off all the old glue too.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Joesson

Quote from: Chilli Girl on July 12, 2021, 18:53It just came off in my hand officer :o   Someone in the past has attempted to put superglue on it but it finally gave way this evening.  It's a plastic circular trim that fits flush to the bodywork - does anyone have any other ideas other than using glue again to fix it.  Before anyone mentions get a gas strut one, I'm not interested in that mod - this little car has had more mods in the past than tanks of fuel and I just want to get her back looking the way she should.  Here's a pic.  I've removed it entirely now and cleaned off all the old glue too.

Mr Dick Sloane our Breaker on here would be my thought for a replacement. Plastic materials can seldom be mended once broken.

Chilli Girl

The plastic doesn't seem damaged just to small for the bodywork hole as such.  Therefore, it just spins around :o
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Chilli Girl

Perhaps I need some sort of narrow tape around the central part to make it bigger, that way it would fit better?

jonbill

I think the real problem is that the metal is slightly deformed. I think it needs clamping with a thick washer either side. maybe we could have a go next meet up?

Chilli Girl

Are you saying I've got a deformed car? ;)  ;D   Joking aside though, I think Foxy's was abit the same, it never came out but was abit loose always.

jonbill

Quote from: Chilli Girl on July 12, 2021, 19:36Are you saying I've got a deformed car? ;)  ;D 
only slightly, in a charismatic sort of way.

Call the midlife!

The plastic loses it's flexibility over countless heat cycles and shrinks away from its expanded size at time of fitting.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Chilli Girl

I live and learn, didn't know that John, thank you. ;D

paulj

Andrew Henderson at J Spec found an odd plastic clip for me which is not made as a pattern part any more.  I'd suggest sending the photo to him and asking for a solution.   Your either need a new assembly or just the plastic bit. They are a relatively new breaker but very helpful.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Call the midlife!

They're available on ebay but I wasn't confident enough in the sizes to add the link here.
60% of the time it works everytime...

ptennisnet

I confess to aralditing mine in place

Beachbum957

---------- Support Rod Grommet (F)
90480-15024    

---------- Support Rod Grommet (R)
90480-15028

Tags: