Roof adjustment.

Started by Chilli Girl, July 5, 2021, 18:12

Chilli Girl

Well after leaving DD on Saturday lidless, within 8 miles I had to stop to put the roof up.  I had great difficulty getting the passenger side roof clip to shut, it was almost too short to reach? Anyhow after a struggle I did get it shut!  Is there an adjustment to make it slightly looser and easier to close.  It's only the passenger side that is difficult!  I appreciate it needs to be snug though. :o
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Joesson

Quote from: Chilli Girl on July  5, 2021, 18:12Well after leaving DD on Saturday lidless, within 8 miles I had to stop to put the roof up.  I had great difficulty getting the passenger side roof clip to shut, it was almost too short to reach? Anyhow after a struggle I did get it shut!  Is there an adjustment to make it slightly looser and easier to close.  It's only the passenger side that is difficult!  I appreciate it needs to be snug though. :o

The OE hood being a plastic material is greatly affected by temperature, when warm it is bigger and more flexible. When cold smaller and less flexible. The angle of "attack"from the driver's seat is more direct on that side than the passenger side. So, I suggest that these factors combined to make closing that side more difficult. I still find that my hood is easier to operate at times and less than easy at others. But when the conditions are right it is easy to open and close.
I suggest always leave the hood up and latched when garaged, park the car in the sun , or run the heater before dropping and persevere when raining and closing as it will be then it will test you the most!

Iain

Theres a nut, 10mm i think, under a plastic clip on the main clasp which can be adjusted to tighten or loosen the clip.

Carolyn

When you put the hood up, check that the wired edges are going into the channel on the side of the roof.  They tend to pop out when you put the roof down (which is good as that puts less strain on the fabric).

If the wire in not in place- the roof will be harder to fasten.  Just guide them into the channels and then finish fastening the roof.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

fawtytoo

If the clamp needs adjusting, there's a YouTube video that shows how. He adjusts the side clamp but they all adjust the same way.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Chilli Girl

Brilliant thank you ;D
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Chilli Girl

Adjusted whilst sat in passenger seat eating my lunch at work today. All sorted. Thank you all.  ;D

fawtytoo

Quote from: Carolyn on July  5, 2021, 18:41When you put the hood up, check that the wired edges are going into the channel on the side of the roof.  They tend to pop out when you put the roof down (which is good as that puts less strain on the fabric).

If the wire in not in place- the roof will be harder to fasten.  Just guide them into the channels and then finish fastening the roof.
@Carolyn
I'm not sure what you're referring to there. Could you clarify please?
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Carolyn

The arc of the roof that fits over the window has a heavy wire sewn into it's edge.

When the roof is up, that edge should sit in the narrow channel that is attached to the edge of the roof, and also arcs over the window.

I'll see if I can take a couple of pics tomorrow.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: