Knock/Clunk on braking

Started by rusty0273, June 25, 2021, 12:19

rusty0273

Recently when I touch the brakes, there is noticeable knock sound. Noticeable at low speeds. If I move forward again and dab the brakes it happens consistently. Seems to be coming from front right of car. Caliper and pads seem to be solid. MOT the other week highlighted front drop links on both sides as an Amber - worn but apparently not too severe.
"Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement cracked and perished"
Is this likely to be the cause of the noise on braking?

fawtytoo

I'd say there's only one way to find out; fix the anti-roll bar bush and see what happens. And it is likely to be the cause.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

gazza1286

The pad springs may be worn/missing allowing the pads to slap against the caliper carrier when braking.

Topdownman

I think there have been some fairly recent posts about this issue, have a search and hopefully you will find them.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

McMr2

Another caliper related possibility is if the slider pins are dry it can allow the caliper to rattle and move around whenever you hit the brakes, has happened to me on more than one car (although not on the MR2).
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Carolyn

There's no substitute for getting it on jack stands, getting the wheel off and having a poke around.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

rusty0273

Yes - I read the other posts on the brakes. I'll probably just get the drop links done and take it from there. Brakes themselves are recently refurbished do should be ok. Thanks for the responses.

Tags: