Subframe screws.

Started by Call the midlife!, June 16, 2021, 21:45

Call the midlife!

I'm too tired and cheesed off to search...
Size and pitch of the 4 subframe screws please?
60% of the time it works everytime...

Call the midlife!

Topdownman

Sorry, cant help you!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Carolyn

It's been a while since I messed with a subframe.  In my bolt collection, I seem to have two possible candidates.

The shorter one in the pic (which I think is the bolt) is M12x1.25.  The longer one, (which is the only other candidate is M12x1.5.  I seem to recall they were a fine thread though.

You cannot view this attachment.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on June 17, 2021, 11:23It's been a while since I messed with a subframe.  In my bolt collection, I seem to have two possible candidates.

The shorter one in the pic (which I think is the bolt) is M12x1.25.  The longer one, (which is the only other candidate is M12x1.5.  I seem to recall they were a fine thread though.

You cannot view this attachment.
The shorter one definitely looks right, my dies only go up to M10 and it's fractionally bigger than that but my M12x1.25 tap seems like too hard work in the holes.

I'll maybe look for a thread cleaner rather than persevering with the tap but the threads are quite "tired" and won't take the screws nicely.
Much appreciated.

tricky1138

I'm sure someone on here mentioned that they had trouble getting the subframe bolts back in, and it was suggested that they might not be lining up properly because of being on axle stands, slightly twisting the chassis. Maybe drop onto wheels if you can (I know probably not) or jack up one side or the other to see if they line up better?

I know I had trouble getting one of mine to line up but a bit of jiggling eventually got it back in.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: tricky1138 on June 17, 2021, 11:46I'm sure someone on here mentioned that they had trouble getting the subframe bolts back in, and it was suggested that they might not be lining up properly because of being on axle stands, slightly twisting the chassis. Maybe drop onto wheels if you can (I know probably not) or jack up one side or the other to see if they line up better?

I know I had trouble getting one of mine to line up but a bit of jiggling eventually got it back in.
Yeah, I had problems with that the first time but I always use ratchet straps to pull the chassis legs together now so they're lined up ok.

Can't get them in without the subframe in place either so I think the damage was done long ago and just compounded every time they've been in and out.👍🏻

delhusband

Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

I'm going to look at cleaning the threads and possibly helicoiling them while there's still some meat left to work with but I've noted this, ta muchly.

Carolyn

Bags of Plusgas up the holes and work the bolts in and out slowly - before you offer up the subframe.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on June 17, 2021, 14:56Bags of Plusgas up the holes and work the bolts in and out slowly - before you offer up the subframe.

I gave it a good try yesterday, I'll try again Saturday and see if the PG has soaked anything away but they're very, very tight...

Carolyn

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 17, 2021, 15:05
Quote from: Carolyn on June 17, 2021, 14:56Bags of Plusgas up the holes and work the bolts in and out slowly - before you offer up the subframe.

I gave it a good try yesterday, I'll try again Saturday and see if the PG has soaked anything away but they're very, very tight...

That's a bugger.  You'll need a tap with a good taper to it.  I do recall having to chase mine with a tap.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on June 17, 2021, 15:18
Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 17, 2021, 15:05

That's a bugger.  You'll need a tap with a good taper to it.  I do recall having to chase mine with a tap.

I don't have a proper handle for those sized taps so was using a ring spanner and was afeared of snapping the tap so I've "borrowed" a proper handle from work for the weekend.

Tags: