Vibration

Started by Jon S, June 12, 2021, 12:02

Jon S

Hello
I have a vibration most noticeable between 60 and 70 through the steering wheel.
I've had all the wheels balanced ( fronts twice) and new shocks all round as I had a slight weep from one front and one rear and I've just had an mot. Only advisory was a weep around the r cv boot.
So what should I be looking at next?
I'm stumped!
Thanks
Jon

Dev

There are a number of things that can cause vibration at speed that needs a full inspection of the front end for any play including the wheel bearings. 

In regard to the CV joint from where the boot is weeping that is not a good situation to have because over time the boot exchanges with contaminants and water that mixes with the grease and ruins the joint causing it to fall out of balance that is set by the rubber isolator on the shaft of the right cv joint. When the joint is compromised it wears and cant be saved unless it is caught early. It can be the source of vibration that is transmitted at certain speeds but mostly under load. 
 I would address the CV joint now regardless of where the vibration is coming from.

Gaz mr-s

Play in steering lower u/j?

Jon S

OK I'll check wheelbearings and steering UJ and sort out the CV boot
Thanks for the replies guys.

jonbill

I think a wheel can be both balanced and oval at the same time.

Frank Rabbets

I would try somewhere else for balancing if you returned to the original place.

You can get flat spots on balanced tyres causing vibration but this is more audible and felt more through the seat than balance vibration. Also a lot slower as at wheel speed.

Be interesting to find what it is.

Gaz mr-s

I forgot to add that it's unlikely to be hub-bearings since you've just had an MOT.

Jon S

I'm getting a mechanic to have a look at it Thursday so hope I'll find out by the end of the week.

mr2garageswindon

After you have been for a run and had the vibration try and compare the heat coming off the front discs. I've had similar before was the start of a sticking brake caliper.. Just a thought.

Also if your wheels are a bit scabby on the inside sometimes the stick on weights can easily come off after a while.

Jon S

For those who wanted an update:
Garage has had a look and could not find anything wrong with suspension, hubs or brakes or steering so got the wheels re-balanced again and it seems to have improved it. They felt it was something to do with tyres themselves (tread pattern or manufacturing defect)-bit of pain as they are new Toyos.
So I'm reassured that nothing is too awry now an maybe the tyres need to "scrub in" a bit.

Ardent

Where are you based?

Just wondering if local. Could swap out the wheels, do test run just to see.

Carolyn

Quote from: Jon S on June 21, 2021, 08:01For those who wanted an update:
Garage has had a look and could not find anything wrong with suspension, hubs or brakes or steering so got the wheels re-balanced again and it seems to have improved it. They felt it was something to do with tyres themselves (tread pattern or manufacturing defect)-bit of pain as they are new Toyos.
So I'm reassured that nothing is too awry now an maybe the tyres need to "scrub in" a bit.

Yes those symptoms are a classic balance issue.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Jon S

Quote from: Ardent on June 21, 2021, 10:26Where are you based?

Just wondering if local. Could swap out the wheels, do test run just to see.
I'm in deepest darkest Devon (actually just of J28 on M5), but I'm going to give it a go as is and see if things settle. I did try swapping fronts and rears just to check though they are different sizes so wasn't too happy doing it for long and it seemed to have the same problem, but then they were balanced at the same garage!

Ardent

Bit far for me to be of any help with swapping around.

paulj

I've been watching this thread as I sometimes get a similar effect. It comes and goes, or perhaps I get used to it.

Anyway, I am closer than most to you if you want to meet up sometime.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Jon S

Thanks Paul.
It does seem better now so I'm going to wait and see if it comes back but I'm happy to reciprocate if you want to try out anything in the meantime

Tags: