Coolant leaking out over passenger side steering linkage

Started by DavidSGW, June 11, 2021, 11:49

DavidSGW

I've just joined, as my son has gone and bought his first car (against our advice) with his savings. He was adamant that buying an MR2 mk3 pre summer (March) would be the more sensible option as they would be cheaper!

What he has ended up with is a bit rough to say the least (I was shocked by the amount of rust, particularly on the steering linkage -- new one ordered). It's been sitting on the drive SORN ever since. 

I took it for a spin yesterday and when I reversed it onto the inclined drive, I noticed water leaking over the passenger side suspension. I assumed it was the radiator, but when I took the frunk out the rad was dry. The rusted clip holding the hose was wet to the touch, but I also noticed there were some open-ended tubes with liquid in them hanging above. See photo attached.  Also, can anyone tell me the size of Jubilee clips required for the hose?

Any advice gratefully received.   

Thanks

David   

cptspaulding

The open ended tubes you circled are for bleeding the system.

I'll let someone with more knowledge chime in for your jubilee clip.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

normanh

Looks like the spring hose clips are leaking, the loose hose is for bleeding the system. I had one of the clips leak about 18 months ago simply replaced it with a simple wormdrive clip a proper one. Check that the little bleed valve is fully off. Whilst the bin is out check the radiator is good - new can be as little as £30 - Coolparts.co.uk, I've bought 2 and have a spare just in case when the clip let by.

Norman

Topdownman

Welcome.

Whats the plan with the car, is your son planning to use it or sell it on?

They all look like that the first time you take the froot out. Wire brush it, derust and paint in a suitable protective paint and it will look much better and last a couple of years before you need to do it again. You may want to replace the power steering pipes which you can find on ebay for about £90 while you are there.

You will need to take the front bumper off to fully inspect the rad and they often rot in the bottom corner. Having said that, you wouldnt be getting coolant where you have circled so likely to be something else, possibly just water sat somewhere? Are you losing coolant from the expansion bottle? It is worth noting that the level of coolant is often prone to going up and down anyway.

If you are planning on keeping the car I would suggest coming to Ding Day in Wrexham on 3/7/21 which is our National Meet where you will find all the MR2 experts you could want and get some ideas for the car (and get any dings fixed too!).

PS Your son was right, the prices are seasonal!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Joesson

Hello and welcome @DavidSGW
As above the tubes are for bleeding the cooling/ heater system when changing the coolant fluid.
You mentioned, and it can be seen that there is liquid in the tubes, these could so easily have been drained after use and I suggest that is done now. I also suggest that could be what the "leak" is.
I would empty the bleeder tubes and then run the engine to see if there is then any evidence of a leak.

To measure for a replacement clip a pair of external callipers could be used or a tape or other measure to check the diameter. The worm drive / Jubilee clips have a wide operating range.

Do please let us know how you get on with this and give us the opportunity of helping you further.

PS
I do wish my son had brought home an MR2 Roadster so that I could help him out with it!

DavidSGW

Thanks everyone, great info. Useful to know there is a meet soon. He is in Manchester at the moment.

We were one month away from paying off the the 2008 Fiat 500 we'd got him as his first car and he came back with the MR2. We are also moving house shortly, so needed to get it back on the road.

It was smoking a bit, but he changed the rocker gasket and it seems better. I'm doing the dad thing of checking it is not a death trap. Two new rear tyres on order ready for when the radiator is fixed and the essential 2 dinn stereo purchased! I'm hoping to be able to sort the steering coupling sorted pronto too.   

He is intending to keep it. His mates from school days are driving an MR2 mk1 and an old MX5. My son (Josh) is limited on what he'll fit into at 6'4". He was asking about lifting the steering wheel to give more leg space, but think we'll focus on getting it properly roadworthy first.

Joesson

normanh

The large hose clips are sized 40 -55mm best change them all to be honest I think its about 8 in total.

Norman

DavidSGW

Quote from: normanh on June 11, 2021, 16:35The large hose clips are sized 40 -55mm best change them all to be honest I think its about 8 in total.

Norman
Thanks Norman,

I'll order some now.

David

normanh

From memory there is absolutely no need to take the bumper off, simply remove the fans once the bin is out, look through the grill its not that hard they usually go in one corner the red coolant is very easy to find.

Noman

Tags: