Left side speakers not working

Started by georgester13, June 7, 2021, 22:30

georgester13

Hi I bought an mr2 roadster about a year ago now nothing has gone wrong with it up until about 2 weeks ago when left side speakers wouldn't work. I've had the center console all out and tested a separate head unit but still nothing. I bought a new door loom wiring and tested that too but still nothing. There is a cable that runs under the glove box and into the door loom but I cant find a replacement for it anywhere. As I suspect maybe this cable is damaged. Has anyone had a similar issue or know what could be the problem?
MR2 Roadster TTE

J88TEO

Is the speaker itself working?
Test by swapping it with the one that is working.

Ardent

georgester13

Quote from: J88TEO on June  7, 2021, 22:39Is the speaker itself working?
Test by swapping it with the one that is working.

Hi, yeah the speakers are working both he larger one and the tweeter.
MR2 Roadster TTE

J88TEO

Run a cable direct from the head unit speaker output to the speaker. If working then the loom is faulty.

georgester13

Quote from: J88TEO on June  8, 2021, 08:55Run a cable direct from the head unit speaker output to the speaker. If working then the loom is faulty.

Thanks, do you know what the specific cable is called or where to buy it? I've tried looking but don't really know what I'm looking for.
MR2 Roadster TTE

J88TEO

Quote from: georgester13 on June  8, 2021, 10:52
Quote from: J88TEO on June  8, 2021, 08:55Run a cable direct from the head unit speaker output to the speaker. If working then the loom is faulty.

Thanks, do you know what the specific cable is called or where to buy it? I've tried looking but don't really know what I'm looking for.
For testing - any 2 core cable will do. Or you can get speaker cables in reels on-line.

Dev

In a worse case if the wires are faulty with a break you can run new speaker wire though the doors. Its not easy as you need a wire coat hanger to feed them though the grommets but it can be done and also be a clean install. I have done this long ago when I added an additional wire for separate components. Much easier than having to trace all of the wiring looking for the fault. 

paulj

There are three possible problems for you to consider:

No LHS sound leaving the head unit - connect any speaker into the back of the head unit to check that you get sound.  If no sound, change the head unit.

Speakers not working - unlikely to be both but as others have said swap them and check.  You could also connect the speaker you used for the test above for this check.  If the new speaker works, time to order replacements.

Wiring fault - run a 2 core speaker wire from the back of the head unit to the speakers.  If it works you have found the problem.  Solution is, as Dev says, to route this wire behind the dash and into the door to make a permanent connection.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Tags: