New cat new code

Started by CB 1971, June 4, 2021, 19:44

CB 1971

hi all
Original cat on my 2001 finally gave up and started to blow,found cheap cat on ebay for £110 not type approved though, fitted to car pretty straight forward three amigos been off before when gutted pre cats,if I take car on a run after engine is warm eml light comes on code po240,if I erase code and continue to drive no light,whats my options type approved cat don't want hassle of erasing code ,

jonbill

P0420? 0240 is a turbo related code.

CB 1971

Call the midlife!

More than likely the O2 sensor has objected to being housed in a shiny, new cat and decided to give up working, assuming everything is nice and tight and it's getting full flow past it.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Tomo70

Make sure all gaskets are good throughout the exhaust system I was getting this fault turned out to be the engine-manifold gasket.
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

normanh

I had this a few months back the same code, ran a can of Cataclean through the system then had an emissions tests done at my local MOT centre - it passed, the EML light cancelled out and hasnt reappeared. That was back in January. Since then the post cat sensor failed replaced that no codes. The strange thing is using a Bluetooth reader the cat still shows " not passed " but I have no codes and the car has passed its MOT.
Get you emissions tested its worth it!

Norman

potge

Use an obd reader and check the 02 sensors voltage response. 2xPre-cat should have an similar oscillatory response when on and off accelerator pedal.
Post cat should be more "filtered". Somewhere in the forum there is the excerpt from the toyota test sequence and expected outcome.

CB 1971

Had mot yesterday cat passed emissions do you think do you think code  will clear with time and stay off,light comes on after engine warm if I then erase code light will not then come on ,

normanh

As I said previously I had the same issue, passed the MOT yet the ECU flags up not passed on my EML327 but I have no EML on now, ignore it unless the EML comes on was the advice given to me by knowledgeable folks here.

Norman

Tags: