Health of your engine via spark plug condtion

Started by JB21, May 29, 2021, 11:33

JB21

Just pulled my spark plugs after around 8 track days and 3k road miles since I last cleaned them up, and I'm quite happy with there condition. Uniform colour across all 4, with no electrode wear or black gunk.

However on looking at replacement plugs as these are quite old, I noticed I'm running 1 step colder than the recommended 2ZZ-GE plug.

These are NGK BKR7EIX and looking on MWR these are reserved for FI 2zz-ge applications, I should be running NGK BKR6EIX or Denso IK20.

Not had any cold start issues with the 7's and they've performed very well.

Joesson

Is it my eyes, the photograph or is that how it's supposed to be but that gap looks to be very large!

shnazzle

I've run 7s on my 1zz for shits and giggles. Did nothing. Ran well.
Maybe it didn't burn 100% as well but I didn't notice.
...neutiquam erro.

JB21

Quote from: Joesson on May 29, 2021, 12:43Is it my eyes, the photograph or is that how it's supposed to be but that gap looks to be very large!

Think the 7s are 1.1mm, OE 0.8mm.

shnazzle

Quote from: JB21 on May 29, 2021, 13:20
Quote from: Joesson on May 29, 2021, 12:43Is it my eyes, the photograph or is that how it's supposed to be but that gap looks to be very large!

Pretty sure oem 1zz is 1.1. Is it really 0.8 for 2zz?
...neutiquam erro.

Dev

They look fine but ideally they say it should look a little more like the third one from the left on the bottom picture. A little orange hue is textbook but in modern cars it can vary so there is no real guide to know except that it's not wet or fouled. If its working fine thats good but personally I would go with the 6 over the 7. 

Joesson

Quote from: JB21 on May 29, 2021, 13:20

I'm sure I can see that 0.3mm difference!!

Ardent

Tags: