Cancelling Codes

Started by normanh, May 19, 2021, 10:52

normanh

Over the last few months I have had the car throw a couple of codes - relating to a Cat and Sensor changed, both have been cleared now however on the software I am using in one screen they are still visible Emissions screen.

Using Car Scanner on the phone and an EML327 reader into the car, any suggestions?

Norman

Carolyn

Disconnect the battery for twenty minutes often does the trick.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

thetyrant

I used Torque App on my phone with OBD bluetooth dongle and works a treat for clearing codes and monitoring live data if needed.
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Ardent

normanh

The battery trick didnt work. All codes have been cleared there is no engine light on. The issue I have is on the Emissions page of Car Scanner it shows " Catalyst" and "Oxygen Sensor bother heater and voltage" both with not passed. The APP gives a bit of an explanation saying conditions not meet. I have tried some 5 differing modes of cancelling but know have removed the not passed. Not sure what all this means? As far as I can tell all 3 sensors are working.

Norman

paulj

Some of those results relate to test cycles that the car goes through.  If you havent driven within the condition needed, perhaps cat operation at full temperature or O2 at high sustained high revs, the OBD can throw them up as issues.  Some readers report them as "not tested" but it looks like yours defaults to "not passed".

With everything working and the EML light off, I would pack the reader away and enjoy the drive (!)
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

potge

Quote from: normanh on May 19, 2021, 19:09The battery trick didnt work. All codes have been cleared there is no engine light on. The issue I have is on the Emissions page of Car Scanner it shows " Catalyst" and "Oxygen Sensor bother heater and voltage" both with not passed. The APP gives a bit of an explanation saying conditions not meet. I have tried some 5 differing modes of cancelling but know have removed the not passed. Not sure what all this means? As far as I can tell all 3 sensors are working.

Norman

It is what @paulj said.
I have not used Car Scanner, but as it indicates in the description all is trying to say is, that the cycles and conditions to complete these tests have not been satisfied yet. If you put torque it will just say that these tests are not completed yet. Once completed it will pass or fail. Now is fundamentally pending, loosely speaking.
It is a mix of speed, temperature, rpm, timings and so on and so fourth. Especially the catalyst check can take more than a few rides depending on the way you drive and the route.
Also if you had low efficiency catalyst fault (for example), and the MIL is now off, it might re-appear, once the OBD routine completes.
If you keep resetting the codes, you just extend the time needed.
Most probably will be fine, just give it some time.

thetyrant

Quote from: normanh on May 19, 2021, 19:09The battery trick didnt work. All codes have been cleared there is no engine light on. The issue I have is on the Emissions page of Car Scanner it shows " Catalyst" and "Oxygen Sensor bother heater and voltage" both with not passed. The APP gives a bit of an explanation saying conditions not meet. I have tried some 5 differing modes of cancelling but know have removed the not passed. Not sure what all this means? As far as I can tell all 3 sensors are working.

Norman

Im confused do you get a EML light coming on and then have codes ?  i wouldnt worry about the emmisons test page of scanner its same for me on torque app some doesnt seem to work, but i think its a generic test that doesnt apply to all cars including ours.

If you do have EML and error codes which come back after clearing them then you do have a fault, you cant clear them if still present,  if no codes/EML your all good.

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

normanh

Not had the code for the Cat issue since I first cleared it and its had about a 800 miles driven some of this was hard. Only just replaced the Post Cat sensor replace yesterday and not driven the car on the road.
Both codes have been erased , its just the emissions page showing "not passed"

The cat has passed the MOT in January earlier this year.

Norman

Ardent

As above. not passed/no light is not a fault.

Drive - enjoy. rinse and repeat.

Tags: