Replacement cat options

Started by Ferrousfe, May 14, 2021, 14:28

Ferrousfe

Hi everyone,

I've been doing various bits to my newly acquired MR2 over the past few weeks and unfortunately today on a quick drive around town the flexi pipes have both come away from the cat! It makes a lovely loud noise now though!  :))

I can see cats on eBay from cats2u for about £130 but it seems they are only listed as fitting a 99-01 and I have an 04. On their website directly I can see there's another part which fits 99-06 but that's £200 for some reason.

Does anyone know if this is in fact correct? If I need to pay £200 am I better off getting it from MR2-BEN as they are also ~£200 but it's OE spec?

Also, is it worth doing the precat/replacement header at the same time seeing as the 3 amigos are out of the picture now? I still have precats (but they look okay... for now...)

Sorry for the long post! Any help much appreciated, thank you :) You cannot view this attachment.

Call the midlife!

If you're standard manifold and backbox then either of the cats will fit, there was a change to the regulations at some point but I'd be amazed if any mot tester went to the trouble of checking part numbers.
Similarly they'll fit any replacement manifold that's made to standard dimensions.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Carolyn

All the Cats2U cats work, though you have to get the original version hot for MOT. Plenty of members have them on all years of cars.

From what I can glean, they have come up with  new model (only the '01 type was available) which is being sold 'for later cars'.  It is a different shape and probably has a higher surface area and is more MOT friendly.  I suspect they are clearing stock of the old version and only the later one will be available in future.

They both fit all cars. as 'Midlife' said.

I've taken a look at the MR2 Ben one - it's the same as the new Cats2U one. Both are type approved.

If you can get a Toyosports manifold, now is a good time to do the swap - the original manifolds are still ok - but as they get older they do crack.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

thetyrant

As above the more expensive one is what they will want to sell you if you give them your reg number, its apparently a "better" unit to tie in with a slight change in emission regs after 01.

I tried to buy cheaper one at first,  but by law they need your reg number to sell a cat and when i gave them my 2005 reg they wouldnt sell me cheaper one! so i gave them a reg number for a pre 2001 car so i could buy the cheaper version to fit on my car and it fits, works and passes MOT fine  :) although i do occasionally get a Po420 error code on a long run which is the cat efficiency error, its just occasional so i clear it and goes away until next long run.

Ive even fitted a 02 spacer to try and help prevent error code but it still happens, not sure exactly why but suspect the cat just isnt quite good enough, maybe if i had paid extra for other version it wouldnt happen, who knows but this one is good enough for mot test so all good for me an no hassle clearing code if needed :D
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Ferrousfe

Thank you for all the replies guys :)
I think I'll wait till pay day and then see whether I want to stump up the extra for the newer version as it may well be worth it for the marginal cold emissions and only need it once I guess (well hopefully...)

I'll definitely be looking at a new manifold/headers at the same time though, just need to get the rusty heatshield bolts out!

Is Toyosports the one to go for?
I keep looking at eBay specials, they appear to have the mounting points for the OE heatshield but not sure if that's really necessary?

normanh

Be prepared to replace the O2 sensor as well they are  a devil of job to get out as I well know, not managed it yet after my initial effort, heat cycling it with a hot propane torch and giving it a good soak in penetrating oil. It wont be any good taken out from a knackered cat!

Norman

Joesson

Quote from: Ferrousfe on May 14, 2021, 17:15Thank you for all the replies guys :)
I think I'll wait till pay day and then see whether I want to stump up the extra for the newer version as it may well be worth it for the marginal cold emissions and only need it once I guess (well hopefully...)

I'll definitely be looking at a new manifold/headers at the same time though, just need to get the rusty heatshield bolts out!

Is Toyosports the one to go for?
I keep looking at eBay specials, they appear to have the mounting points for the OE heatshield but not sure if that's really necessary?

Iirc these are 8mm machine screws requiring a 13mm socket. I suggest you apply copious penetrating fluid, use a 6 point socket, if that fails you can try :

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-bolt-nut-remover-set-6-pcs/6083D?tc=KC2&ds_kid=92700055262507123&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4v2EBhCtARIsACan3ny5zW_F26y8t3qfscpd8jbqFy6eEhBtovg3fQRLStcgRlzovzLAfI0aAg3ZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I used Irwin brand nut removal sockets but they are x2 the price.

But if you do not want to " rescue" the heat shield and are similarly binning the manifold then use your favourite tool of metal destruction and take care of the resultant sharp corners.

Ferrousfe

Hi all!

Thought I should give you an update:

I ended up getting the more expensive Cats2U part as I thought it was probably worth the extra money in the long run given that it should never need another one, and payed using PayPal credit so deferred the pain a bit!

I then managed to find a pre-gutted OE manifold on Facebook, which saved me the job of gutting it myself but made the whole process a bit easier too as I ended up needing to drill the bolt out of the heatshield.

All put back together and torqued to spec now and it's running sweet again.
Pre-cats actually looked okay other than some carbon build up, and based on the history they've been on the car for 171,000 miles!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Tags: