Headlight beam woe - what's going on here?

Started by greyspur, May 10, 2021, 13:02

greyspur

I'd be grateful for any advice. My 03 FL just failed it's MOT on the NS headlight beam. The tester thinks it has a LHD car's on the NS. Thing is it has passed for the last 3 years with this headlight on the car, which was replaced 4 yrs ago after a minor accident.

Looking at the attached photo of the headlamps' projection it seems plausible - and I guess I'm going to have to buy a replacement light - unless there's another solution?
You cannot view this attachment.

normanh

Silly question - Have you actually tried adjusting the near side beam or has the bulb moved?

Norman

greyspur

Thanks Norman
The bulb is seated correctly and the lights haven't been touched since last MOT
Looking on this and the Spyderchat forum there seems to be no consensus about whether it is possible to adjust the horizontal aim of the low beam - or am I reading the posts wrong? >:(

mr2garageswindon

To get over this you can put a piece of black electrical tape to remove the "Kick up" that is going the wrong way similar to the ones you would fit to drive on the continent.

Frank Rabbets

Ha Ha, good idea. That would look funny coming towards you. LHD, RHD?

greyspur

Sorted!  ;D
After a lot of head scratching and a bit of improvisation I have created a new looking RHD headlight from my existing LHD light and the innards of an old battered RHD light that I picked up on ebay. If anyone's interested I will post up on the "done today" forum.

Joesson

Quote from: greyspur on May 21, 2021, 22:22Sorted!  ;D
After a lot of head scratching and a bit of improvisation I have created a new looking RHD headlight from my existing LHD light and the innards of an old battered RHD light that I picked up on ebay. If anyone's interested I will post up on the "done today" forum.

Someone was asking recently about how to split a headlamp, but  what you have done is beyond that and presumably it meant splitting the lens from the body, so an up to date report could be helpful.

Tags: