SMT: TechStream or ELMScan

Started by fawtytoo, May 2, 2021, 20:01

fawtytoo

My SMT is actually quite good, but I want to keep it that way. Aside from doing a fluid change which I've already researched, I want to reset and relearn.

I'm quite tech/computer savvy, so this is something I'm comfortable doing if someone can point me in the right direction. What hardware should I get? Do I need the TechStream software or can I do this with an OBD adapter and the ELMScan Toyota app?
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Petrus

I have the correct techstream file (there is a compatability issue with the MicroSoft on the pc) and a how to on file sómewhere but .... am not computer savvy at all. My son has it stored but he is stuck in a quaranteened city.
Will be several weeks at least before I can ask. As such am happy to be your Plan B.

shnazzle

You will need Techstream for that, and the ODB2 to USB adapter (vci) 
Or a professional Autel tool,usually 650gbp+.

If you can get it working on Linux with Wine you'd be a winner
...neutiquam erro.

fawtytoo

Quote from: shnazzle on May  2, 2021, 21:50If you can get it working on Linux with Wine you'd be a winner
How do you know I'm using Linux? Although I'd get a dedicated laptop with Windows for this.

shnazzle

Quote from: fawtytoo on May  2, 2021, 22:01
Quote from: shnazzle on May  2, 2021, 21:50If you can get it working on Linux with Wine you'd be a winner
How do you know I'm using Linux? Although I'd get a dedicated laptop with Windows for this.
You can't be computer-savvy and not use linux haha! 

My guess paid off
...neutiquam erro.

fawtytoo

Quote from: shnazzle on May  2, 2021, 23:38

My guess paid off
Then I'm guessing you do too as you seem to know something about it.

Ardent

@fawtytoo
You may already have one, but, just in case, I have a usb to obd cable I would be willing to sell for a tenner and postage.

shnazzle

Quote from: fawtytoo on May  3, 2021, 10:47
Quote from: shnazzle on May  2, 2021, 23:38

My guess paid off
Then I'm guessing you do too as you seem to know something about it.
I do indeed. Running Mint at the minute. Not sure how I feel about it...

Long history of linux use.
...neutiquam erro.

fawtytoo

Quote from: Ardent on May  3, 2021, 10:54@fawtytoo
You may already have one, but, just in case, I have a usb to obd cable I would be willing to sell for a tenner and postage.

I don't. But I'm interested in buying yours.

shnazzle

Quote from: fawtytoo on May  4, 2021, 17:19
Quote from: Ardent on May  3, 2021, 10:54@fawtytoo

I don't. But I'm interested in buying yours.
Jase is that cable techstream compatible?
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

Yes.

Bought cable/techstream via ebay. Installed and connected to car, MR2 and other Toyota vehicle.
Then promptly disconnected, realizing I could easily end up "bricking" the vehicle as I don't know what I'm doing.

But connect it did. 

cyclehead

Here is a download procedure written by a smart fellow on facebook group.  It has a link to drivers that bypass the factory password requirement.  It works well with a J2534 OBD cable. 
My copy here is missing all the screen shots.   Original file is available on facebook "MR2 Spyder SMT" group. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1006y677Wq7qDS6OZPNTUGBZGfGpAACF1v597aHFkB2Q/edit
2002 SMT in Yellow
2001 2GR swap in Black

Tags: