Radiator replacement & O-ring size?

Started by Ozzy, October 10, 2020, 15:18

Ozzy

Hi,

So I need to replace my radiator and been looking up how to do it and come across a few posts saying to use the bleed valves from the original radiator and to replace the O-rings with a thicker one as they leak.

Does anyone know what sized O-ring I need?
This way I can get some in advance and make life easier when I do it. Also are there any other little things like this that'll need doing? Read something about maybe needing to block a hose off on some replacement radiators?

Thanks

Bossworld

Quote from: Ozzy on October 10, 2020, 15:18Hi,

So I need to replace my radiator and been looking up how to do it and come across a few posts saying to use the bleed valves from the original radiator and to replace the O-rings with a thicker one as they leak.

This way I can get some in advance and make life easier when I do it. Also are there any other little things like this that'll need doing? Read something about maybe needing to block a hose off on some replacement radiators?

Thanks

The eBay specials seem to have been revised over the years and no longer have the secondary outlet that needed to be capped off with a stop end and wormdrive clamp

With regards the O-ring - I went through this at length and Carolyn confirmed the size:

6mm ID with a 2.5mm wall.

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=64576.0

Joesson

Quote from: Bossworld on October 10, 2020, 15:50
Quote from: Ozzy on October 10, 2020, 15:18Hi,

Thanks

The eBay specials seem to have been revised over the years and no longer have the secondary outlet that needed to be capped off with a stop end and wormdrive clamp

With regards the O-ring - I went through this at length and Carolyn confirmed the size:

6mm ID with a 2.5mm wall.

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=64576.0

The " secondary outlet" wasn't noticeable when I installed the after market radiator, but it became apparent after a few years, but not so many miles when I lost all the, new, Mr T long life coolant, as I mentioned in my post on your link.
 The supplier had " no knowledge" of what I was complaining about but if you have heard of this from elsewhere!
Iirc I reused the OE drain valve c/w washer in the new rad and that is still ok today.

Ozzy

Tags: