Seat back tilt mechanism

Started by rusty0273, October 9, 2020, 15:03

rusty0273

I'm attempting to swap the seat cushions and backs passenger to driver side but have encountered an issue.
When I fit the seat back onto the frame it wont tilt. Fitting the side with the lever to release the mechanism works fine but when I then bolt-on the other side (left hand side of drivers seat when sitting). The back is fixed and won't tilt. I'm sure it's something to do with fitting the bar which runs across the back of the seat shown @ 2m 18s on this video.

https://youtu.be/kwdhf0oAMGM?t=136

Starting to do my nut in!
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

paulj

It's a few years since I did this myself, but I think the seat needs to be in the reclined position when the back is changed. If upright the springs are in tension and might cause the issue you have got.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

rusty0273

Thanks for that paulj.
Update: I decided to stick the seat bases back on even though I thought that counter-intuitive as you then can't see or access the back mechanism as well. However, When putting the bases on I could tell that the skeleton of the seat was misaligned (bolts not aligned to holes). I can only assume because the whole seat becomes better aligned when you bolt the bases on, the back now goes back on and works as expected. Can't explain what has occurred exactly but obviously I was unable to get the backs on properly without the seat bases in place. As Edd China would say a 'top tip'.
90 mins of incredibly frustrating faffing about. I suppose these things build character - or so I tell my kids  ;D

rusty0273

Spoke too soon. Passenger side is fine but still struggling with the drivers side.
The mechanism spring seems to snap into a position and then won't budge. Can't work it out.
Going to give up for now and hope to get some suggestions from you guys.

Call the midlife!

I find it easier with the seats in the fully forwards position but it sounds like you've got them misaligned.
If you pull the through bar out of the seat back you can use it to get both sides back in the same orientation and it'll give you an idea of how the mechanism works.
The tangs on the through bar engage in a slot on the reclining mech but have to be in the sweet spot on both sides for it to work, often you'll get one side in the slot and the other behind it.
Make sure the felt squares don't fall out either 🤓
60% of the time it works everytime...

rusty0273

Finally got it sorted out last night when I should have been enjoying a gin & tonic.
It was a case of engaging the through bar correctly on both sides. Seemed to be slotting in but on closer inspection wasn't fully engaged. One of these jobs that took me most of the day but would probably take an hour to do again. Hey ho. Thanks for the responses.

Joesson

Quote from: rusty0273 on October 10, 2020, 08:32Finally got it sorted out last night when I should have been enjoying a gin & tonic.
It was a case of engaging the through bar correctly on both sides. Seemed to be slotting in but on closer inspection wasn't fully engaged. One of these jobs that took me most of the day but would probably take an hour to do again. Hey ho. Thanks for the responses.

I have said it before but - Experience is the best "tool" in the box.

Tags: