Need some tips how to remove springs

Started by Nvy, October 3, 2020, 14:10

Nvy

As the title states I need some tips of how to remove the springs from the shocks. One side was easy because I could use a wrench in between the top bolts so the top mount wont rotate but the other side is kind tricky. Cant use the same way.

Its the side that has some kind of a hat below the mount, any tips appreciated.

P.S. I have just hand tools.

jonbill

have you taken the struts off the car already? easiest to losen the damper nut with the car on its wheels.
If its already off, take the opportunity to buy a cordless impact driver!

gazza1286

On the car is preferable but..

If you have a Workmate the jaws open just far enough to hold the top mount to provide the necessary leverage.

Joesson

Quote from: jonbill on October  3, 2020, 15:07have you taken the struts off the car already? easiest to losen the damper nut with the car on its wheels.
If its already off, take the opportunity to buy a cordless impact driver!

Nvy

The struts are out of the car for some time. I did one pair - the one with the beefier springs i guess its the rear but the other pair is giving me some grief. It has some kind of a hat and the strut rotates independently from the mount itself so it wouldnt work even if it was on the car.

Joesson

Quote from: Nvy on October  3, 2020, 16:45The struts are out of the car for some time. I did one pair - the one with the beefier springs i guess its the rear but the other pair is giving me some grief. It has some kind of a hat and the strut rotates independently from the mount itself so it wouldnt work even if it was on the car.

Iirc the piston has a flat at the top that engages in a slot in the "hat".

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Joesson on October  3, 2020, 17:05Iirc the piston has a flat at the top that engages in a slot in the "hat".

Yes, the top plate is 'D' shape. It's likely that the D shape is worn, - it's not very tough metal. If you get it off you may be able to use a chisel to improve the fit of the flat edge onto the shock. I too reckon an impact gun will be needed.

Tags: