Rear brake disc

Started by David59, September 15, 2020, 09:59

David59

Good morning
I had cause this morning to investigate what sounds like a binding rear brake shoe.
Never look at the brakes since I bought it as I was told it had been fitted with new callipers and pads.

I've noticed that apart from the calliper there seems to be no retaining system for the disc ie if I removed the calliper the disc would pull straight off. There's about 1mm amount of lateral movement in and out on the disc.

I appreciate that possibly when the road wheel is put back on that this holds the disc in but just wanted to check
Regards
David

Carolyn

Quote from: David59 on September 15, 2020, 09:59Good morning
I had cause this morning to investigate what sounds like a binding rear brake shoe.
Never look at the brakes since I bought it as I was told it had been fitted with new callipers and pads.

I've noticed that apart from the calliper there seems to be no retaining system for the disc ie if I removed the calliper the disc would pull straight off. There's about 1mm amount of lateral movement in and out on the disc.

I appreciate that possibly when the road wheel is put back on that this holds the disc in but just wanted to check
Regards
David

That's the way it should be.  The wheel holds it steady.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

David59

Thanks Carolyn...as I suspected
I cleaned the disc up but still catching the pads at one section as I rotate. Suspect it may be the beginnings of run out.

AdamR28

Also sounds pretty normal, rare to have any brake that doesn't touch a little at one point.

Tags: