Do facelift seats fit to prefacelift cars?

Started by treeroy, September 5, 2020, 17:52

treeroy

I am looking at replacing my drivers seat which has been butchered by a previous owner. I have the leather seat from precafelift.

Found this seat which I'm thinking of buying: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164169113214

I assume the seat will fit to a prefacelift car, but just want to double check...

I know people have also put seats from other cars into the MR2, but I'm not sure which seats fit. Prefer a cloth seat to leather.

Thanks for any answers.

Carolyn

You CAN put facelift seats into a PFL car.

BUT

PFL seats are (by general consensus) better seats....

The back from a passenger seat (which rarely have worn bolsters) can be swapped onto a driver's seat.

A drivers' cloth facelift sea with that kind of wear is pretty much worthless b.t.w.

Have a word with our resident breaker Mr Sloan.. See what he might have?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

treeroy

Quote from: Carolyn on September  5, 2020, 18:01You CAN put facelift seats into a PFL car.

BUT

PFL seats are (by general consensus) better seats....

The back from a passenger seat (which rarely have worn bolsters) can be swapped onto a driver's seat.

A drivers' cloth facelift sea with that kind of wear is pretty much worthless b.t.w.

Have a word with our resident breaker Mr Sloan.. See what he might have?

Thank you. I will ask Dick see if he has anything.

Why are the PFL seats better? They look the same as each other only difference I can see is the gap in the headrest.

That's interesting to know that you can swap the back of a passenger seat. However I require a new base of my seat. Previous owner has removed all the padding/foam from it, to reduce its height, so you just sit on the metal frame basically. Uncomfortable to say the least.

If I am swapping my seat then I may as well upgrade to a cloth seat while I'm at it. Like I said I would much prefer to have cloth seat than leather as it gives a lot more grip. As long as the bolsters are not knackered then that's what I'd go for. Pre-FL or FL, I don't really care which. It just happens that the seat I linked to is the only MR2 cloth drivers seat on ebay currently. The others are either leather or passenger seat.

Gaz mr-s

carolineasb

You're neck will know all about it if you change to FL from PFL!

I'm going to make little foam wedges to go in the spaces at the head rest for our cars to stop the cold neck phenomenon happening.
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Call the midlife!

Be mindful of the seatbelts, Toyota in their wisdom changed the tongues and receivers part way through production.
One has a D shaped hole in the tongue which won't fit the other receiver so make sure you check what your car has fitted and be sure the replacement seat has the appropriate receiver or fit the matching receiver to the new seat.
It's a straightforward bolt on unit with some wires to connect but needs thinking about.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Tags: