Measuring AFR's?

Started by JB21, September 1, 2020, 20:50

JB21

How to you guys measure AFR'S? Can't see them through torque pro with EML327 albeit 2zz motor.

AdamR28

You'd need to install an extra aftermarket lambda sensor I think.

thetyrant

You can't do it via obd on these cars as stock O2 sensor is narrow band so not suitable, you need a wide band kit which has faster and wider range 02 sensor and a controller/display etc to read/log its data, sensor can be mounted in exhaust (pre cats if possible) or you can get tailpipe sniffer which goes into tailpipe.

Lots of different wideband kits out there as well, all depends whether you want a permanent install or just use sniffer to do a check on it.
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

m1tch

OEM O2 sensors are narrow band and are basically lean or rich - you need a wideband O2 sensor.

Cap

As mentioned, the O2 sensors are 'Narrow Band', but useful data can be derived from them..  The OBD2 ports is really slow in delivering Data, but in extended run conditions, you can get a 'Feel' for how the fuel system is working.. or use an external Volt Meter to get a reference of what is happening.

Here is a chart of the Voltage Produced by a Narrow Band O2 Sensor, and the AFR that created it..

O2 Volts to A/F ratio
volts ............................. A/F
0.1 ............................... 17
0.2 ............................... 16.5
0.3 ............................... 16
0.4 ............................... 15.4
0.5 ............................... 14.9
0.6 ............................... 14.4
0.7 ............................... 13.8
0.8 ............................... 13.2
0.9 ............................... 12.7
0.985 ............................ 12.1

Cap

Jay

For my other cars I've a Innovate wideband LM2. Use it for fueling runs on turbo cars as it's a portable handheld but they offer permanent fit gauges too.

Have only used it for reading fault codes on the 2 so far!

Tags: