Quick question - engine cover removal

Started by Mr Lazy, August 28, 2020, 19:54

Mr Lazy

I want to change the spark plugs but I've fallen at the first hurdle. How do I remove the black plastic engine cover to get to them?? Are the clips at the top supposed to rotate somehow? I've done a search but can't find an answer.

Carolyn

You should have two dome nuts (towards the bulkhead) and two plastic plugs closer to you.  They are  supposed to rotate, but when they get old, it's easier to pry up, discard the plastic plugs and replace with M6 machine screws.  There's a little 'nipple' in the top of the hole, which I take off with a sharp blade.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Mr Lazy

Oops, it just pops off at the front. I feel quite foolish now!

Mr Lazy

Mr Lazy

Ok, next newbie question... regarding the rubber HT connectors (don't know the correct term for them) between the spark plugs and the HT leads, two of them pull out really easily but I can't pull out the other two. Is there a knack to removing these?

Mr Lazy

Just realised that the trunking for the HT leads was obstructing them. Ok, I'm going to shut up now and stop showing myself up!

Call the midlife!

Those 
Quote from: Mr Lazy on August 28, 2020, 20:39Ok, next newbie question... regarding the rubber HT connectors (don't know the correct term for them) between the spark plugs and the HT leads, two of them pull out really easily but I can't pull out the other two. Is there a knack to removing these?

Those would be your coil packs, each cylinder has it's own coil pack held in place by a machine screw.
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

Carolyn actually showed me it's easier to remove the 4 screws from the coilpacks, and h the two that hold down the wire harness and then swing the whole lot out of the way to the left.
Not much difference but saves a couple of minutes taking each coil pack off the plug and out :)
...neutiquam erro.

Mr Lazy

Thanks all. It's crazy how sometimes it's the silly little things that create the problems. I should really have just taken a step back and thought it through myself, but after spending about half an hour trying to work out how to unclip the oxygen sensor connector I was getting a bit frustrated  :))

Ardent

Don't talk to me about plastic clips. (Connector blocks)
I feel you pain. Ask me how I know.

Just pinch the sides and slide out, they say. Yeah right.

Tags: