Another Oil question - Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-30 - Track Use

Started by Roj, August 25, 2020, 11:27

Roj

I recently bought Fuchs Titan Race Pro S in OEM 5W-30 spec as recommended by the Opie Oils website using the vehicle search function. However after reading that others on here have historically used the higher temp-rated  5W-40 spec I thought I'd ask Opie Oils for some advice. They said I'd be fine using the 5W-30 I currently have, even with planned track driving and extended periods of fast-road use at high rpm. However they recommended going up to the 5W-40 at the next oil change, if nothing else than to aid with lower oil consumption during prolonged high-rpm.

Has anyone else tracked with the new Fuchs Race 5W-30 and, if so, noted any difference in engine temps or oil useage after switching from 5W-40?

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

JB21

I don't use anything fancy in mine. Euro car parts Triple QX 5w 40 fully synthetic.

I just make the change intervals much shorter. Change after 2 track days or 500 miles.

AdamR28

The Fuchs Titan oil is about the best out there. You will be fine with the 5w30, but as they have said, if you use the car a lot at higher loads / rpms then the 5w40 will maintain pressure a bit better when the oil is really hot.

thetyrant

I havent used the Titan Race Pro in the MR2 but have in previous cars and its excellent oil, if its a stock 1zz motor 5w/30 would be fine for road and occasional track day imo as Opie oils said, if doing a lot of trackdays and you stay out for long sessions 15mins+ then switching to 5w/40 is probably worthwhile but not essential as long as you dont leave oil in for too many trackdays, the base oil is very good so should cope ok in stock 1zz but i would probably change every 2-3 trackdays depending on track miles you do, as JB says regular changes are the key to keeping engine healthy and even good ester based oil like this can only do so much and its cheaper to change oil more frequent than rebuild the engine :).

If your Turbo etc then probably go with 5w/40 due to extra heat in engine from the turbo.

Oil consumption wise it shouldnt make much difference between the 2 grades, if it does then you need to sort the engine out or just keep a close eye on levels.

HTH
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Alex Knight

I'm using Gulf Competition 15w-50 oil in my 2ZZ. Have been for years. No issues at all.

It's thicker than most, but it spends all it's time above 6,000RPM on track, and I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of cold start protection for peace of mind a thicker oil gives.

I'm probably losing a couple of BHP, but I don't mind.

As stated above, you'll probably be fine with a 40weight oil, but make sure you do very regular changes if you track it a lot.

shnazzle

Never tracked the 2 but I run Fuch's Race Pro S almost exclusively. The 5w30 has just been released so I always ran 5w40 and it's a world of difference over the Toyota 5w30 Economy oil that's stock. 

Especially hot the engine is noticeably happier.
...neutiquam erro.

Roj

Thanks for the replies and advice, much appreciated.

As advised, I'll run the 5W-30 and then switch to the 40 at the next change. I'll keep an eye on temps and report back if there's any difference been running the two oils under similar loads, durations and OATs.

Would be interested to hear of anyone going the other way and using the 5W-30 now it's available, to see if they notice any difference.

thetyrant

Roj

Quote from: thetyrant on August 25, 2020, 18:34What oil temps are you seeing now ?

Sorry, I meant engine temps. In theory a higher grade oil should cause more friction at a given load, so I'll keep an eye on engine temp to see if it's noticeable going from one grade to the other. I'll just use an IR thermometer on the block until I get an OTG fitted. Not great but better than nothing.

thetyrant

Quote from: Roj on August 25, 2020, 20:21
Quote from: thetyrant on August 25, 2020, 18:34What oil temps are you seeing now ?

Sorry, I meant engine temps. In theory a higher grade oil should cause more friction at a given load, so I'll keep an eye on engine temp to see if it's noticeable going from one grade to the other. I'll just use an IR thermometer on the block until I get an OTG fitted. Not great but better than nothing.

You shouldnt see any change in engine coolant temps if everything is working as it should no matter which grade you use, that is regulated by thermostat and fans etc and if you had more friction to override that you would be doing damage!  oil is just there to keep the bearings,rods,crank, pistons etc separated with a film of oil under pressure, as long as oil is within work temp and pressure it will do its job, once oil either starts to break down from going over temp/old age or pressure drops then you have problems.

If you had a oil temp and pressure gauge you might see some slight difference but not huge between same brand of oil and only slight grade difference like this.

Its good oil so either will be fine just dont leave it too long between changes that is the key with track use, many people think because they bought expensive oils they will last for ever, which of course they wont! cheap oil changed regular is better than expensive oil left in for too long as long as correct grades etc :)

Roj

Quote from: thetyrant on August 25, 2020, 20:31
Quote from: Roj on August 25, 2020, 20:21

You shouldnt see any change in engine coolant temps if everything is working as it should no matter which grade you use, that is regulated by thermostat and fans etc and if you had more friction to override that you would be doing damage!  oil is just there to keep the bearings,rods,crank, pistons etc separated with a film of oil under pressure, as long as oil is within work temp and pressure it will do its job, once oil either starts to break down from going over temp/old age or pressure drops then you have problems.

If you had a oil temp and pressure gauge you might see some slight difference but not huge between same brand of oil and only slight grade difference like this.

Its good oil so either will be fine just dont leave it too long between changes that is the key with track use, many people think because they bought expensive oils they will last for ever, which of course they wont! cheap oil changed regular is better than expensive oil left in for too long as long as correct grades etc :)

Ah, of course, good point! I didn't think about the cooling system working harder to compensate for any additional heat generated, if there is any at all.

Totally agree on oil change intervals, already planning for increased frequency with the intended track driving.

Ardent

even without any track work, very popular to change oil twice a year on here, even with just B road miles.
In the grand scheme a filter and 3.7L of oil is not a huge expense compared to some hobbies.

Roj

Quote from: Ardent on August 25, 2020, 22:16even without any track work, very popular to change oil twice a year on here, even with just B road miles.
In the grand scheme a filter and 3.7L of oil is not a huge expense compared to some hobbies.

I usually work to 3k mile changes on my road-use only cars. I'll adapt that depending on the track mileage and type of road mileage.

I'm loving the capacity compared to the 8.5L my 911 used to take!

tommyzoom99

Ive used Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-30 for 7 years doing about 5-6 trackdays a year never had any issues

i have a elise parts sump and no oil cooler and the oil rarely goes above 115 degrees, the only thing i have noticed is the peak oil pressure when at 115 degrees drops a couple psi but thats it

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Tags: