Suspension Refresh and Tyre Renewal

Started by Elektronic, August 16, 2020, 09:48

Elektronic

Having got the engine running properly and the brakes sorted, now looking at the suspension etc.
I will go for a standard refresh shocks and springs, using KYB parts.Got everything sorted except front strut mtgs, is it only MR2BEN who has these, he's expensive.  :) Looking at tyres.
I have 13 year old Pirelli's on the rear, no not a typo !and nearly new KUMHO ECSTA HS51 on the fronts, although looking at the date code they are 5 years old.
What's the view on the KUMHO, I'm looking for a reasonably priced upgrade. Do I just fit KUMHO on the rear, or go for 4 new. Ive looked at FALKEN ZIEX ZE310  as a reasonable budget tyre.
Comments on the tyres and strut mtgs most welcome.

Joesson

@Elektronic
For your top mounts I suggest you contact our Affiliate TCB on here.
As for tyres there is a current thread that @Mr Lazy is running, on that he is considering Falken.
Four new tyres must be better than a mix of old tyres, particularly those you do not know the history of.

Gaz mr-s

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kumho/Ecsta-HS51.htm

16" came out in the middle of a 2018 test. If you got matching rears, they wear quicker than fronts, so the fronts may not be too old come replacement time.

Falken 914 were good, the 310 do well in tests, but Hankook k125 are better.
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-Auto-Bild-15-inch-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm 

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ashika/8235655

The Ashika & Japan Parts is the same, I believe.  It uses a sealed bearing as opposed to the KYB part. If you use a piece of 6mm rubber hose or similar glued in between the top mount & the spring plate it should stop upwardly-flung muck getting 'in there'.  Their stuff comes from Germany - approx £8.50 postage.
I also noticed Autodoc sell tyres...they have Hankook & Falken, one at least was similar price to Camskill - but their tyres are Freepost.

ManInDandism

I did my front suspension earlier this year, and like @Elektronic , I used all KYB parts.  I even used their top mounts which I purchased from Auto Doc as per link posted by @Gaz mr-s .

Part number is SM5215 and they came in at about £35 each including postage. 

If you do a search by vehicle these front mounts do not show up as being applicable and they are also not listed in the KYB Europe catalogue.  The equivalent rears do and are also show up as MR2 Roadster-specific on the Auto Doc website.  However, if you look at the KYB Americas catalogue it shows the fronts as SM5215 for the Spyder but then weirdly does not list the rears at all.

I picked up on this when I was researching  - may even have been from here.  Although I got a garage to fit them, I can report that there were no issues.
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Bossworld

Quote from: ManInDandism on August 16, 2020, 14:39I did my front suspension earlier this year, and like @Elektronic , I used all KYB parts.  I even used their top mounts which I purchased from Auto Doc as per link posted by @Gaz mr-s .

Part number is SM5215 and they came in at about £35 each including postage. 

If you do a search by vehicle these front mounts do not show up as being applicable and they are also not listed in the KYB Europe catalogue.  The equivalent rears do and are also show up as MR2 Roadster-specific on the Auto Doc website.  However, if you look at the KYB Americas catalogue it shows the fronts as SM5215 for the Spyder but then weirdly does not list the rears at all.

I picked up on this when I was researching  - may even have been from here.  Although I got a garage to fit them, I can report that there were no issues.

Good knowledge.  I ended up using the Japanparts MR2 ones, I did see a thread some time back where someone had used some that IMO looked Avensis? specific from the part number but from the image they were nigh on identical.

Elektronic

Thankyou all for the tips and direction.
Ive ordered the Japan Parts Front Strut top mtg SM5215.
The tyres .....yes Autodoc do sell tyres AND free delivery. They beat BlackCircles and Mytyres on Falkens, for Hankooks Mytyes are very close in price.

Joesson

Quote from: Elektronic on August 17, 2020, 09:33Thankyou all for the tips and direction.
The tyres .....yes Autodoc do sell tyres AND free delivery. They beat BlackCircles and Mytyres on Falkens, for Hankooks Mytyes are very close in price.

I do wonder how buying tyres on line works. I tried once and found that asking the "designated" tyre fitter he bettered the on line plus his fitting price. I then found that Mr T could better both and went with them.
If fitting them yourself, well, in the 60's I bought tyres from a home shopping catalogue, weekly payments! Never again, I found that just getting the old tyres off without a machine is very difficult.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Elektronic on August 17, 2020, 09:33The tyres .....yes Autodoc do sell tyres AND free delivery. They beat BlackCircles and Mytyres on Falkens, for Hankooks Mytyes are very close in price.

I didn't do any more price comparison other than Camskill. My last two or three tyre purchases have been from Germans on ebay when ebay has had an offer on.

I used a small garage that has a fitting machine.

I would never think of going to a Dealership to get tyres, - with their overheads I'd be surprised if they could get close, & I'm always choosing which tyre I want.

ManInDandism

Quote from: Joesson on August 17, 2020, 09:50
Quote from: Elektronic on August 17, 2020, 09:33Thankyou all for the tips and direction.

I do wonder how buying tyres on line works. I tried once and found that asking the "designated" tyre fitter he bettered the on line plus his fitting price. I then found that Mr T could better both and went with them.
If fitting them yourself, well, in the 60's I bought tyres from a home shopping catalogue, weekly payments! Never again, I found that just getting the old tyres off without a machine is very difficult.

It is worth considering online shops when you are pricing.  We used blackcircles.com recently for a set of tyres. Their prices include fitting as well so you nominate a fitter local to you from their list, the tyres get delivered there and you select a date and time for fitting.
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Joesson

For me on line prices were bettered once by Mr T for my 2 and once for my  daily by Mr Ford. But the next time, for my daily it was a garage in our village!
As I've mentioned elsewhere it depends on what offers are around at the time you want the tyres, but importantly, my time is my own. I am not loosing earning time by looking and shopping around, for those working for a living convenience is another factor.

Elektronic

Quote from: ManInDandism on August 17, 2020, 10:46
Quote from: Joesson on August 17, 2020, 09:50

It is worth considering online shops when you are pricing.  We used blackcircles.com recently for a set of tyres. Their prices include fitting as well so you nominate a fitter local to you from their list, the tyres get delivered there and you select a date and time for fitting.
Hadn't realised Blackcircle included fitting, so with time on my hands......research suggests Hankook from Blackcircle beats Falken from Autodoc and Mytyres.
Sorted, again thankyou all.

Tags: