some more advice please...won't start

Started by David59, August 8, 2020, 12:19

David59

Hello
You may remember the starting issues I had last month which were correctly diagnosed and resolved by yourselves ie new ECU. ECU wand fob were duly bought from Dick Sloan and cars been fine
Another issue I had was a jammed ignition key and I fear I've now done something wrong

History:
I extracted the barrel in the ACC position and unplugged the transponder.
The key could still not be extracted from the barrel and unfortunately (and I'm too embarrassed to say how) the transponder coil/aerial got broken.
I contacted Dick Sloan who has now sent me an ignition unit (from which I have extracted the barrel), a key and a transponder.
I've slipped the new barrel in together with transponder, plugged in transponder, taken the fob that is matched to the ECU from the old key and held it next to the new key from Dick. Dick's key had no fob holder it had sheared but I've sent for a blank key.

Am I missing something as I'm getting no ignition?
Thanks again...hope it's something simple
David

David59

Bit of an update if it helps...the immobiliser light flashes when the ignition is on

Cap

Please excuse me, as I have a hard time with British Terms.. ( I'm from the Colonies ).

So you removed the Ignition Key Barrel to get your key out..
Broke the Transponder Reader that was in your Car..
Put in a 'New to you' Ignition Barrel that has a key with no 'Top'
Put in a 'New to You' Transponder Reader. ( The Ring Thing that fits around the Ignition Barrel and reads the RFID Chip in the Key Top )
Held your Old Key top to the Ignition Barrel, Turned the Key ( The Short one ) and the Immobilizer Lite still flashes?..

If this is the Story, then LIKELY somehow the Transponder Reader is not functioning.. Because this key top was running your replacement ECU you installed..

A thought.. The Key Transponder is read upon the inserting of the Key, not upon turning the key..  I think is within the first second of key insertion, then it gives up and times out the read process.. With the Fumbling of the Key and Key top, is it possible the ECU has already tried the key read procedure, before the RFID chip is in reading range?..

Makes the JDM ECU sound like a good idea about now..

Please Post ( Reply ) if my Story of Facts as I understand then is correct.. As I my be able to help you sort this out..  I do not do House Calls..

Nice weather over here.. Now I'll go back to my California Beaches.. :)

Cap

David59

Hi Cap
You understand correctly.
Your theory is certainly interesting and worth testing
I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know
Regards
David

Tags: