Unidentified clip/fixing

Started by househead, July 31, 2020, 19:59

househead

I found this on my drive close to the rear of the car. Not 100% it's from the car but it's a possibility.

Anyone any clues?

2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Joesson

@househead
I don't recall seeing such a clip but I would put that on the garage shelf/ in the box of bits because if you bin it you will shortly afterwards find something missing a clip and hanging off.

househead

Quote from: Joesson on July 31, 2020, 20:20@househead
I don't recall seeing such a clip but I would put that on the garage shelf/ in the box of bits because if you bin it you will shortly afterwards find something missing a clip and hanging off.

Of this I have no doubt at all.

I've actually held onto it for a few months already and only now coming to investigate the mystery.

Call the midlife!

Fits into the end of the rear wings and is supposed to regulate the panel gap between the bumper and wing where they meet at the wheel arch.
60% of the time it works everytime...

househead

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 31, 2020, 21:20Fits into the end of the rear wings and is supposed to regulate the panel gap between the bumper and wing where they meet at the wheel arch.

Brilliant, thanks. I'll reattach it soon!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: househead on July 31, 2020, 22:40
Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 31, 2020, 21:20Fits into the end of the rear wings and is supposed to regulate the panel gap between the bumper and wing where they meet at the wheel arch.

It's odd that it managed to fall out though, can't remember if there's a retaining screw or just pushes into the wing but should stay captive until physically removed.

Unless it's an old one that's been lurking in your bumper since someone else lost it?
You should be able to see it In the gap when it's fitted anyway.
60% of the time it works everytime...

househead

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 31, 2020, 22:52
Quote from: househead on July 31, 2020, 22:40

It's odd that it managed to fall out though, can't remember if there's a retaining screw or just pushes into the wing but should stay captive until physically removed.

Unless it's an old one that's been lurking in your bumper since someone else lost it?
You should be able to see it In the gap when it's fitted anyway.

I suspect it originally became dislodged when I took a rear shunt last year. At the time the tabs on my bumper inserts also broke off. I think it has probably been rattling around in the bumper for a while.

It certainly looks like there should be a screw insert. Perhaps it was slotted in but not screwed in.

Certainly rather odd but I'm glad it's come off/out on the drive rather than some back lane in Kent :D

Tags: