Air filters - any difference between makes?

Started by Mr Lazy, July 28, 2020, 15:00

Mr Lazy

I've searched this in the forum but can't find anything conclusive. I've noticed that Euro Car Parts are currently selling a Fram air filter for just £3.39. At that price it would seem rude not to buy it. Is it going to be rubbish though? It got me wondering if there is any difference between makers of disposable air filters (so not the likes of K&N). Do any makes have more than one suitable model in their range? I've looked at one or two reviews on YouTube etc and to some extent they contradict each other. What are your thoughts on this? Maybe I'm over-thinking the whole thing.

thetyrant

Stock spec oe paper filter like the Fram etc is all you need :D
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Ardent

Mr Lazy

Thanks both. As you have said previously then Ardent, these cars are certainly cheap to maintain!

shnazzle

Same logic as spark plugs and oil;
Cheap and often is better than expensive and rarely.
...neutiquam erro.

m1tch

I am running a basic cone induction kit behind the battery, if still running the stock airbox just use a standard paper filter - think the airbox is the same size as the 2zz airbox which can support 50bhp more than the 1zz so will flow fine.

Ardent

Alex Knight

Quote from: m1tch on July 28, 2020, 15:49I am running a basic cone induction kit behind the battery, if still running the stock airbox just use a standard paper filter - think the airbox is the same size as the 2zz airbox which can support 50bhp more than the 1zz so will flow fine.

Apparently the stock air box strangles the 2ZZ.

Joesson

Another case, I suggest of making your choice and paying your money:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ3L-E-ufYo

Love him or hate him Scotty maybe makes a valid point about oil impregnated air filters and the MAF

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WV-vNGzzP_M

Mr Lazy

Ah yes, I watched the first one before starting this post. The trouble is that it isn't entirely consistent with another review that I saw. The point about the oil impregnated filters is one reason why I'm avoiding them, as well as the fact that they are very expensive!

shnazzle

I've definitely used a fair bit of oil-based. Filters and, when done right, your MAF is never dirtier than normal. 
The problem is that a lot/most of people over-oil them. And it's very difficult to know when enough is enough. 

All easily avoided by just using paper :)
...neutiquam erro.

tricky1138

I've been using a K&N oiled filter for the past 5-6 years without issue, but whether or not it gives me any more performance over an plain paper filter I wouldn't know.

I doubt even changing back to the paper one, I would notice anything.

TBH I think I bought it to save money and time, but by the time you get it out, clean it, oil it and leave it to dry, you could have swapped a paper filter much quicker.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

SV-3

No - no difference.
(Toyota spent a lot of money to arrive at theirs)
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

BahnStormer

Quote from: SV-3 on July 29, 2020, 11:41'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Jaguar (Avon ZZ5's: 31F/31R)

wow, I thought I put a lot of details into my sig, but is that stock TYRE PRESSURES?
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

SV-3

Quote from: BahnStormer on July 29, 2020, 11:57
Quote from: SV-3 on July 29, 2020, 11:41'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Jaguar (Avon ZZ5's: 31F/31R)

wow, I thought I put a lot of details into my sig, but is that stock TYRE PRESSURES?
For the Roadster, yes - see page 263 of the owner's manual 8)
(Oh! there I go again quoting the manual) ;)
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"

RubixRonnie

I've always used Wix Paper Filters, cheap as chips on Ebay and never let me down
Re-United owner of a beautiful Red 2000 PFL
Rather large sound system
Few extra bits and bobs
Smile machine!
VW Tiguan is the DD

Tags: