New member and non starter..SUCCESS!!!!

Started by David59, July 22, 2020, 08:58

David59

SUCCESS!! ;D
The car is running.
As suggested by Carolyn I removed the spark plugs but being lazy left the difficult one in.
Spun the engine to smell for petrol and it actually tried running for a few seconds on one cylinder and I had petrol.
Plugs back in and tried starting again. Runs for only a few seconds. A bit of head scratching and staring at the engine and then inspiration. Whilst the mechanic was here we had pulled the air intake off and squirted easy start down the pipe to see if we could get ignition...it was still off. Reconnected it and car fired first time.
If I'd reconnected it as soon as I'd fitted Carolyn's ECU on Friday I bet it would have started then.

I now await the results of my ECU that I sent off for testing last week as I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it all points to my ECU immobilising the car and/or being faulty.

Advice please
Do I get it repaired?
Do I look for a replacement and does that have the added expense of swopping other components?
How easy is it to obtain a JDM ECU like Carolyn's?

Carolyn, I need to make arrangements to get yours back to you.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone on this forum for their support and advice and generosity. It's really heartening to know people like you are out there and willing to lend a hand. I will certainly be making a donation to the club and try and keep in touch.

Carolyn

Yee hah!  RESULT!!!

Contact Mr Sloan (our affiliated breaker) and he'll sort you a replacement ecu and keys surprisingly little dosh. You should be able to swap key internals into your key fobs, so you don't have to change locks. These ECUs don't repair.

I'll PM my address. 

Don't be a stranger, the club always needs proper people!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

Really glad you're on the road to being sorted!
Is it definitely a JDM ecu you're after? 
If you have an immobiliser and all that, doesn't that mean a "normal" uk spec ecu will do?
...neutiquam erro.

David59

Thanks for the advice
Do I understand this correctly.
If I obtain an ECU and keys from Mr Sloan I won't need to change the immobiliser or anything else
Again many thanks

Carolyn

Quote from: shnazzle on July 27, 2020, 20:04Really glad you're on the road to being sorted!
If you have an immobiliser and all that, doesn't that mean a "normal" uk spec ecu will do?

He'll be wanting a Euro spec ECU. JDM ECU is rocking horse pooh!

David59:  The immobiliser is a function of the ECU. There is no 'immobiliser unit'.

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on July 27, 2020, 20:27
Quote from: shnazzle on July 27, 2020, 20:04Really glad you're on the road to being sorted!

David59:  The immobiliser is a function of the ECU. There is no 'immobiliser unit'.
Ah. Phew. That's miles easier. 

I know I saw a stack of ECUs at Dick's a couple weeks ago. 
Whether he has the matching locks is another question. 
Worst case scenario you need to have two keys on your keyring.
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

Good to hear you are gettig progress.

Worth getting in touch with Dick asap as he will be at shinding day on saturday so will be heading south to get there I assume.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

David59

I messaged Dick last night and he's able to supply me an ECU and key fob..hope to be on the road soon :) 

Carolyn

Quote from: David59 on July 28, 2020, 17:47I messaged Dick last night and he's able to supply me an ECU and key fob..hope to be on the road soon :) 
By all means use the JDM ECU until the replacement arrives.  Might as well have some fun.

jonbill

Quote from: shnazzle on July 27, 2020, 20:32

You don't need the locks surely. you just move the transponder from the new key that matches the new ECU into the old key that matches the old locks.

shnazzle

Quote from: jonbill on July 28, 2020, 19:37
Quote from: shnazzle on July 27, 2020, 20:32

You don't need the locks surely. you just move the transponder from the new key that matches the new ECU into the old key that matches the old locks.
Yup that's even easier :)
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: