Front Shocks Parts List

Started by Flibby, February 29, 2020, 23:55

Flibby

I've got a slight 'misting' of oil on the front left shock and the boots are perished so it's time for replacement as MOT is upcoming in early April.

So far on my list i've got the shocks, springs and new drop links as they were a decent price. Am I right that the rest of the bits can be re-used, the spring rubbers etc?

Obviously if things are clearly damaged i'll have to re-assess but i'm hoping to get away with a fairly minimal (c.£300) job due to giving a lot of money away to the dentist this month  >:(

Lastly - has anyone had to replace the 19mm bolts connecting the lower strut, and if so where did you find them as eBay seems extremely expensive  :P

Ardent

@Flibby

Taking your last point 1st.

Someone recently tried sourcing various bolts and after much searching, ended up paying the price.
In isolation do not seem to bad, but soon adds up when you have a few of them.
Sad but true.

The "other bits" generally yes.

shnazzle

Top mounts always worth checking. If perished, it can cause rattles etc.
...neutiquam erro.

Bossworld

I tried doing it on the cheap via various sales and failed

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66851.msg788795#msg788795

In the end, I bought a set that had covered about 15k (seller had replaced their stock ones but wanted to replace again with stock Toyota struts) and then I replaced the top mounts on those too.

From what I recall top mounts were £55 for the pair, each front shock was about £55, boots would set you back about £8 each, bump stops about £6 each, drop links about £10 each, dust seal £4 each, then the spring seat and insulator were maybe another £20 for the pair from Toyota.

Either way, enough to make your eyes water when you can buy preassembled Focus struts for less than £100

Flibby

Thanks guys. You're right, not a cheap job compared to most cars these days...

Bossworld

It's certainly transforms the car, my ones were every bit 15 years/130k miles old.  That said, they weren't leaking, the springs weren't snapped and I honestly believe it was changing either the top mounts or the A-arms (both comparatively cheap) that resolved my wandering at high speeds and steering wheel vibration at 70mph.

With you having a misting I guess you can't isolate just those, but hopefully you may be able to reuse some parts.  I looked into taking my stock ones apart but the top spring mount was just a crusty mess, and both the dust seal and spring cushion were like rocks.  Evidence of previous existence of dust boots could be found at exhibits A, B and C.

The bump stops could have been reused though lol

I'll also add, with the exception of purchasing an impact wrench, it was at least a straight forward job (for someone that's never touched suspension before like me).  The front A-arms on the other hand...

Gaz mr-s

I saw this post late last night & tried having a look for front top mounts which have a bearing in them, but was struggling, so gave up.
My 19 hear old pfl had done under 60k miles & one front was well-gone. The other had easily-felt play.  O/E are made by Kayaba. The bearing can't be replaced.  I bought a pair made by Akisha from Autodoc.  The bearing looks replaceable.  My rear mounts were fine.
The KYB fronts are often difficult to get, I've read.  O/E parts or equivalent of can be had from TCB.... I'd try them for price.  You could also try ad ertising on F/book to see if anyone has bits they did 't get round to using.

Bossworld

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on March  1, 2020, 11:05I saw this post late last night & tried having a look for front top mounts which have a bearing in them, but was struggling, so gave up.
My 19 hear old pfl had done under 60k miles & one front was well-gone. The other had easily-felt play.  O/E are made by Kayaba. The bearing can't be replaced.  I bought a pair made by Akisha from Autodoc.  The bearing looks replaceable.  My rear mounts were fine.
The KYB fronts are often difficult to get, I've read.  O/E parts or equivalent of can be had from TCB.... I'd try them for price.  You could also try ad ertising on F/book to see if anyone has bits they did 't get round to using.

The Ashika/Japanparts ones are a sealed bearing if I remember correctly and ever so slightly different in shape/appearance to stock, I think they seemed a little taller.  I put some grease under the OEM cap (which I refitted) for the sake of it but don't see how it would get in anywhere.  Either way I've only covered about 2000 miles with them but haven't encountered any issues.

Similar experience to you - I think the KYB front top mount is available the other side of the pond but it's not listed in their European catalogue.

That said, some posts online suggest an Avensis version is interchangeable but I didn't want to take a chance even if it looks similar.

I kept the rear mounts from the set I purchased (ditching my 130k ones), didn't see much wear on them but that's probably because they're more sheltered and not doing the steering!

Flibby

Thanks Guys.

Am i right i thinking that FL (which I need) springs are different from PFL? Every site seems to list them differently!

Bossworld

Quote from: Flibby on March  1, 2020, 19:13Thanks Guys.

Am i right i thinking that FL (which I need) springs are different from PFL? Every site seems to list them differently!

Two different heights of aftermarket rear springs , PFL 353mm, FL 360.

Someone on YouTube is convinced the fronts are different as well but nothing to substantiate that in third party catalogues. May be different from Toyota direct but I don't personally know.

Gaz mr-s

I've spent ages trying to cross-refer the front mounts with other toyotas. Last method was to try to use aftermarket manufacturers catalogues. Didn't work.  It's easy to get the Toyota or KYB part number from listings. According to what I've seen it may be used on Corolla's Prius & Celica. I never saw mention of the Avensis.

The main difficulty is the different models use different part no's.

I haven't found a Uk listing that mentions the MR2 & other Toyotas.
But on US ebay I have.

I'd suggest anyone to start there...get a pic of the US car(s) & find the equivalent UK model. 

Bossworld

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on March  1, 2020, 20:50I've spent ages trying to cross-refer the front mounts with other toyotas. Last method was to try to use aftermarket manufacturers catalogues. Didn't work.  It's easy to get the Toyota or KYB part number from listings. According to what I've seen it may be used on Corolla's Prius & Celica. I never saw mention of the Avensis.

The main difficulty is the different models use different part no's.

I haven't found a Uk listing that mentions the MR2 & other Toyotas.
But on US ebay I have.

I'd suggest anyone to start there...get a pic of the US car(s) & find the equivalent UK model. 

Apologies in advance if I've misconstrued your post at first (I thought you'd already fitted the Ashika ones) but from my Reader's Ride, here's the difference from (what I assume to be) 15 year old stock on the left, and the Ashika/Japanparts on the right

For the other model, I'd have to do the digging again but for the MR2 it was RU-2320 and I'm sure for the other suggested Toyota it was only about 10 numbers higher (something like RU-2326 or RU-2328).  Could well have been Auris now you mention it but whichever it was, it looked very similar to the MR2 ones.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Bossworld on March  1, 2020, 21:19Apologies in advance if I've misconstrued your post at first (I thought you'd already fitted the Ashika ones) but from my Reader's Ride, here's the difference from (what I assume to be) 15 year old stock on the left, and the Ashika/Japanparts on the right

You are correct....I did all the research prompted by the thread. I've had mine a while, not on yet though.

Flibby

Quote from: Bossworld on March  1, 2020, 20:29
Quote from: Flibby on March  1, 2020, 19:13Thanks Guys.

Two different heights of aftermarket rear springs , PFL 353mm, FL 360.

Someone on YouTube is convinced the fronts are different as well but nothing to substantiate that in third party catalogues. May be different from Toyota direct but I don't personally know.

Thank you. I'm doing fronts so hopefully should all be good then

Tags: