Car shudders on first gear. But only when engine is warm

Started by Dacollecthor, February 27, 2020, 22:44

Dacollecthor

Hi. I have a peculiar problem.

During morning i start my mr2 with no problem. I drive it without any hassle.

But during the day after i have driven it for some time. The shudder starts. But only during takeoff at first gear. When it is already rolling, i have no problem. Sometimes the engine also stalls if i press the clutch.

Why is thenshudder happening only on first gear. And why is it when the engine is warm only and not on the first drive.

Pls help.

Ardent

Can you elaborate on the shudder.

Just felt through the seat or wheel?
Whole car?

"Sometimes the engine also stalls if i press the clutch."
That is very odd.

Has it been happening for a while or just recently?

Fuel quality change?

shnazzle

I have the same. I don't remember when it started exactly but I put it down to my new engine head steady, as it quite firmly links the block to the body. Also the more solid engine mount didn't help.

Reading this now however, it is quite odd and wonder whether I have the same symptoms as the OP. It only happens in 1st,and only the first time I pull away with a cold engine. 

I don't have any running issues and car seems otherwise quite healthy 

Same for you?
...neutiquam erro.

jonbill

Sounds clutch related. I think a little oil leakage might do this.

shnazzle

Quote from: jonbill on February 28, 2020, 07:30Sounds clutch related. I think a little oil leakage might do this.
I am very much due a gearbox oil change. 

I said this last week. 
I'll see if I can do this soon-ish and report back
...neutiquam erro.

james_ly

Pulling away with too few revs? When it's cold the fast idle means you can't do that.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

Carolyn

Quote from: shnazzle on February 28, 2020, 08:27
Quote from: jonbill on February 28, 2020, 07:30Sounds clutch related. I think a little oil leakage might do this.

I said this last week.
Or a tired pressure plate?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on February 28, 2020, 09:46
Quote from: shnazzle on February 28, 2020, 08:27

I said this last week.
Or a tired pressure plate?
Could be, but it's not that old. Granted it does get "used"
...neutiquam erro.

Bossworld

May be completely barking up the wrong tree but having replaced the slave and the fluid since I last drove the car...

Found that winding the rod out from the pedal half a turn seems to have made a big difference when it comes to pulling away in first.

Not saying the first two won't have helped, and the old slave clearly had water in the fluid judging by the corrosion around the spring/piston when I dismantled it, but mine was way too close to the floor previously.

Tags: