O2 wires too short

Started by Hawkes41, February 19, 2020, 22:54

Hawkes41

So I finally got around to fitting my replacement exhaust manifold and all was going fine until I went to plug in the drivers side manifold O2 sensor and the wire is too short because of the position of the sensor in the new manifold!
Is there  an easy fix or do I need to get soldering?
Can I remove it completely and just run with one?

Thanks in advance!

Gaz mr-s

No to both questions.  The wires have a coating on them & can't be soldered. You either have to piece a bit in by crimping to lengthen it or buy another longer-wired sensor.  Some listings tell you the length of the cable.

Call the midlife!

Two options, if it's only just short you can try unclipping the connector block from the head cover, that often gives you enough slack to make it work.
Or just get the post cat sensor that already has a longer lead and tidy the "spare" cable up with a jazzy cable tie. They're the same sensor, just comes with the longer lead already.
The third option would be to buy a standard one without a plug fitted and cut your old one to length then connect the two together.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Hawkes41

Brill thanks for the info guys, saved me wasting my time!
I'll get a longer one ordered up asap !

Ardent

I believe the Denso with the longer cable is DOX 0206 from sparkplugs.co.uk

Hawkes41

Quote from: Ardent on February 19, 2020, 23:42I believe the Denso with the longer cable is DOX 0206 from sparkplugs.co.uk

Thanks!

shnazzle

Alternatively buy the universal one if you don't mind crimping the wires. 
They're half the price and come with a huge lead so you can cut to length.
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on February 20, 2020, 06:49Alternatively buy the universal one if you don't mind crimping the wires.
No way? I was not aware of that...

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on February 20, 2020, 13:24
Quote from: shnazzle on February 20, 2020, 06:49Alternatively buy the universal one if you don't mind crimping the wires.
Haha really? 

Yeah they even come with the crimping connectors and instructions. 
All you need is a decent crimping tool and potentially a box of spare crimping connectors in case a provided one fails. My crimping tool was on the way out so I tended to go through 2 extras every time. But all in all, 30 quid saving for the sake of 10 minutes of crimping?.. Sign me up. Especially with the rate I go through them
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on February 20, 2020, 14:15
Quote from: Call the midlife! on February 20, 2020, 13:24
Haha really?

Yeah they even come with the crimping connectors and instructions.
All you need is a decent crimping tool and potentially a box of spare crimping connectors in case a provided one fails. My crimping tool was on the way out so I tended to go through 2 extras every time. But all in all, 30 quid saving for the sake of 10 minutes of crimping?.. Sign me up. Especially with the rate I go through them
If I was in the market for some I'd probably do the same but seeing as mine are all sat in a box in the garage anyway...

shiny

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on February 19, 2020, 23:04No to both questions.  The wires have a coating on them & can't be soldered. You either have to piece a bit in by crimping to lengthen it or buy another longer-wired sensor.  Some listings tell you the length of the cable.
What's the coating to stop soldering?

shnazzle

Quote from: shiny on February 21, 2020, 20:28
Quote from: Gaz mr-s on February 19, 2020, 23:04No to both questions.  The wires have a coating on them & can't be soldered. You either have to piece a bit in by crimping to lengthen it or buy another longer-wired sensor.  Some listings tell you the length of the cable.
It's not so much that they can't. It's more that they shouldn't. Messes with the operation. Soldering blocks the air reference.
...neutiquam erro.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: shnazzle on February 21, 2020, 20:37
It's not so much that they can't. It's more that they shouldn't. Messes with the operation. Soldering blocks the air reference.

No, I tried before I found out (from you) that it shouldn't.  It has a very shiny appearance like chrome.

shiny

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on February 21, 2020, 22:05

No, I tried before I found out (from you) that it shouldn't.  It has a very shiny appearance like chrome.

I get it shiny is the problem?

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: shiny on February 22, 2020, 07:56I get it shiny is the problem?

The solder doesn't take to it. And the coating is hard. The fact that you can buy a universal sensor that comes with crimps means it's their recommended method.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shiny on February 22, 2020, 07:56
Quote from: Gaz mr-s on February 21, 2020, 22:05

I get it shiny is the problem?
You're going to fit in real well around here...

Tags: