Damp seats

Started by Smithy, February 18, 2020, 19:10

Smithy

I'm getting rain running down the inside of my side window and onto my seat. The small flap on the inside of the roof drips when it rains or when I wash the car. Anyone know how I can rectify this?
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

paulj

This seal works best if the car is on the level or facing uphill. Its made to deflect water when on the move, so travelling front to back along the car.

Parking on an uphill slope works for me.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Smithy

Oh ok thanks very much. I will park front facing up and see if it makes a difference. Thanks again
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

delhusband

@Smithy have a look at this thread here:

Leaky window

also, I eventually found that there's a tab on the windscreen pillar that was protruding slightly, and this was enough to bend the seal out of shape a bit and let water in down the inside of the window. I posted a video on that thread showing the location of the drip. hope this helps
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Also, if your seats are cloth, and you start to see mould growth on the seats, because of the damp, good quick first response is to chuck loads of bicarbonate of soda all over the fabric, brush it into fabric with a soft brush, leave it for a while and then vacuum out. Had to do this recently.

wasn't perfect, but before:
You cannot view this attachment.

during:

after:
Hate pointy animals

Smithy

That's fantastic advice thank you all. I will give them a clean at the weekend
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

normanh

I had similar and thought it was the seal/roof, turned out to be simply condensation of the metal frame of the roof. Where I pack one sided of the car never gets warmed by the sun in winter. Simple solution was to leave a couple of dehumidifier canisters in the car behind the seats using a bit of velcro on the bulkhead beneath the bins.

Norman

james_ly

Quote from: normanh on February 23, 2020, 17:35I had similar and thought it was the seal/roof, turned out to be simply condensation of the metal frame of the roof. Where I pack one sided of the car never gets warmed by the sun in winter. Simple solution was to leave a couple of dehumidifier canisters in the car behind the seats using a bit of velcro on the bulkhead beneath the bins.

Norman

I had exactly this when left parked up for couple of weeks over winter. It took a week's worth of driving with heater on full and windows open to fully dry it. Very rarely mists up now.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

Tags: