Car started to sound a bit spluttery on engine startup

Started by househead, February 9, 2020, 12:01

househead

This seems to be a recent thing. It's not cranking any longer than normal but it sounds more spluttery and less assured of a start than it did before. Seems to happen with a cold or warm start. Cold and warm idle are unchanged, and I don't notice any difference otherwise. Sparks are only 5k miles old, oil is <3k miles old. Oil was recently topped up, dipstick appeared to show it very close to "L". Put maybe a half litre in and now it's up at "F". I do hate that dipstick, it's extremely difficult to read. Is it possible I've overfilled, I wonder?

Any ideas what the cause could be? Should I just ignore it?
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

james_ly

I would ignore until more symptoms occur... thinking what's happened to mine it could be o2 sensors, minor exhaust leak?
MR2 gone<br />GT86

Ardent

househead

Quote from: Ardent on February  9, 2020, 18:23L to F is 1.3litre

Good to know.

But it does highlight that at least one of the "readings" I made of it was wrong  :))

My understanding though is that 0.5l overfill *should be* ok. Source is some tech service bulletin where they were putting an extra half litre in, so suggests the engine can at least use it.

Joesson

@househead
Mark, you likely did read about any extra 0.5L of oil being OK, but this referred to cars other than a 2.
This was discussed in comparisons of Pfl and fl:

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?msg=813633

househead

Quote from: Joesson on February  9, 2020, 19:37@househead
Mark, you likely did read about any extra 0.5L of oil being OK, but this referred to cars other than a 2.
This was discussed in comparisons of Pfl and fl:

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?msg=813633

Ah thanks for the clarification!

It's due another oil change in 1k miles (doing it every 3k). It had definitely burnt or lose *some* oil.

Got me thinking and worrying now!

Ardent

Do you know how much oil over how many miles?

Anything less than a litre over 612 miles
(1000km) is in spec

househead

Quote from: Ardent on February  9, 2020, 22:00Do you know how much oil over how many miles?

Anything less than a litre over 612 miles
(1000km) is in spec

I'm pretty sure whatever it's lost is still in spec.

When I topped up, I read it as being about 20% from L to F (took a few readings and flat ground etc). I put about 0.5l in and it was up at F again.

I think if anything, I've read it too low initially.

Ardent

I found (came up with) this as a guide for myself.

we know L to F is 1300ml
Between L and F is 27mm on the stick

1300/27 = 48ml/mm

So lets say everything is topped up spot on to the F mark. Some time later, you check the stick and see the oil level is 5mm down (visual judgement) from the F mark. So for simple maths. 5 x 50ml, you need to measure out and add 250ml.

Rushy67

Quote from: Ardent on February 10, 2020, 00:14I found (came up with) this as a guide for myself.

we know L to F is 1300ml

1300/27 = 48ml/mm

So lets say everything is topped up spot on to the F mark. Some time later, you check the stick and see the oil level is 5mm down (visual judgement) from the F mark. So for simple maths. 5 x 50ml, you need to measure out and add 250ml.
This is a great way to keep on top of the problem.So just so im clear for us Newbies it is acceptable for the engine to use a litre of oil every 600 miles?

paulj

Oil usage is written into the owners manual. You'd be surprised how many other marques also have a thirst which is "approved" in their manuals also.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Ardent

Quote from: Rushy67 on February 13, 2020, 21:26
Quote from: Ardent on February 10, 2020, 00:14I found (came up with) this as a guide for myself.

we know L to F is 1300ml

1300/27 = 48ml/mm

This is a great way to keep on top of the problem.So just so im clear for us Newbies it is acceptable for the engine to use a litre of oil every 600 miles?
Yep! This is deemed acceptable by the manufacturer. Though owners often view it differently.
But a scan of the owners manual will confirm.

Tags: