Cam cover bolt hole damaged

Started by househead, February 4, 2020, 14:00

househead

I recently realised that the gasket sealant I'd used when last putting my cam cover back on was not up to scratch (was pliable when warmed), so I took upon myself to fix it and use the Elring Grey stuff.

In doing so I've discovered that the 12mm bolt (the one which bolts the cam cover and plastic engine cover down) has a totally ruined bolt hole. It now is impossible to torque it up. How much of a risk is using the car without this one bolt torqued up and what options do I have for a quick fix?
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Carolyn

Unfortunately, that's a threaded hole in the cylinder head.  While it possibly could be heli-coiled to securely take an M 6 bolt, I doubt it can be done with the engine in the car, because of the vertical clearance required.

I't's time for the aluminum foil cheat... fold a little foil and push it into the hole.  Gently start an M6 bolt into the hole, so that it starts to bite.  When you put the cam cover back on, just a gentle squeeze to nip up the bolt.

OR put some chem-metal in the hole.  thread in an M6 bolt that's got some WD on it;s threads.  Let it set and back the bolt out.  Will; be stronger- but still just 'nip up'.

These M6 bolts in the head only need to be 'nipped up'.  Steel in ally in a small hole is always liable to strip a thread if it's over-tightened.

It will be fine and not leak - which is all that matters.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

househead

I was wondering about the Helicoil inserts but I would agree, the lack of clearance is a bit of a problem while the engine is mounted in the car.

I'll try those two suggestions and see if I can get it nice and stable. Thanks @Carolyn

I think it's while tightening the plastic cover nut that I've managed to strip the bugger.

Bloody aluminium!
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Gaz2405

Quote from: Carolyn on February  4, 2020, 14:41Unfortunately, that's a threaded hole in the cylinder head.  While it possibly could be heli-coiled to securely take an M 6 bolt, I doubt it can be done with the engine in the car, because of the vertical clearance required.

I't's time for the aluminum foil cheat... fold a little foil and push it into the hole.  Gently start an M6 bolt into the hole, so that it starts to bite.  When you put the cam cover back on, just a gentle squeeze to nip up the bolt.

OR put some chem-metal in the hole.  thread in an M6 bolt that's got some WD on it;s threads.  Let it set and back the bolt out.  Will; be stronger- but still just 'nip up'.

These M6 bolts in the head only need to be 'nipped up'.  Steel in ally in a small hole is always liable to strip a thread if it's over-tightened.

It will be fine and not leak - which is all that matters.

A couple of my go to "oh shit" moment solutions there. Surprising how long they last like that!
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

Tags: