Rear brake pad change

Started by Benlake, February 1, 2020, 14:48

Benlake

Hi please can anyone help? I was using the little piston tool to push back the piston on the rear brake caliper. It was pretty stiff but was going back, then it ripped the little rubber boot that sits around the piston. I had the handbrake off but it was still connected. Should I have disconnected it and does anyone have any advice on what to do with the caliper :(

Topdownman

You can get service parts here;

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/TOYOTA/MR2/00-/MR2%20SPORTS%20ZZW30%201.8%20ROADSTER/Front%20-%20Brake%20Calipers%20and%20Wheel%20cylinders

Sounds like the piston is rusty and seized. If you are in a hurry to get it back on the road then you could get the refurbished caliper or otherwise just get the service kit?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Joesson

Or @bigbear007 runs a calliper repair service.

Benlake

Thanks - I had mine refurbished 6 months ago which is annoying as it would have been cheaper to buy the whole caliper :(
The piston pushing tool locks into the end of the piston and twists, I think it was the twisting that ripped the boot. Or should the standard tool have just pushed them in with out issue.

Just so I don't wreck the next ones!

Benlake

As in should the piston just push back into the caliper without feeling really stiff just using the standard tool. Think I will buy a refurbished set.

Ardent

On rears def a wind in rather than a push.
Might the boot have got trapped between tool and piston.
For a caliper that has been refurb'd. Sounds rather stiff. Certainly some resistance but should wind back smoothly.

Joesson

Quote from: Benlake on February  1, 2020, 17:05Thanks - I had mine refurbished 6 months ago which is annoying as it would have been cheaper to buy the whole caliper :(
The piston pushing tool locks into the end of the piston and twists, I think it was the twisting that ripped the boot. Or should the standard tool have just pushed them in with out issue.

Just so I don't wreck the next ones!

A shot in the dark but was the bleed screw open?

Benlake

Bleed screw was closed but the boot he put on is different to toyotas, and when it twisted it ripped. I think maybe better to go with refurb caliper rather than throw good money after bad. Wish Id done that first time round :(

Topdownman

There have been lots of comments about garages messing up these rear brakes, it definitely pays to have someone experienced work on your rear brakes/handbrake if at all possible.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Ardent

@Benlake

What year is your car and where you based?

Benlake

Yeah I think the guy used bodgy boots . The front brakes are original and the pistons slipped back on those without any issues. Car is 2006 and Im based in Cheshire.

Zxrob

Quote from: Benlake on February  1, 2020, 17:41As in should the piston just push back into the caliper without feeling really stiff just using the standard tool. Think I will buy a refurbished set.

There will be a bit of resistance when turning to retract the piston, did you have to cap off the master cylinder when doing it ????

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

Ardent

Quote from: Benlake on February  1, 2020, 22:23Car is 2006 and Im based in Cheshire.
OK, I might have been able to assist, but no.

Benlake

Thanks yeah had the cap off

Tags: