Poor quality item from Cobra exhausts

Started by JB21, January 27, 2020, 15:31

Call the midlife!

You go dancing for an hour and look what happens...
Other than the blown casing does it look like there's much internal damage?
Might be cost effective to get it repaired?
60% of the time it works everytime...

Rich.B

I had issues with my cobra exhaust that came fitted to my MR2. I can't comment on the age or kind of use it's had, as I have no idea when the previous owner fitted it.

When I removed it, I could clearly hear the internal baffles had become detached. Once cut open, I found the baffles had rotted away completely and the wadding was non existent.

I welded in some new perforated tube and repacked it as a temporary fix and that was about 12 months ago. It still seems to be holding together, even if it does have a big ugly MIG weld on the back!

JB21

Quote from: Rich.B on January 28, 2020, 00:23I had issues with my cobra exhaust that came fitted to my MR2. I can't comment on the age or kind of use it's had, as I have no idea when the previous owner fitted it.

When I removed it, I could clearly hear the internal baffles had come detached. Once cut open, I found the baffles had rotted away completely and the wedding was non existent.

I welded in some new perforated tube and repacked it as a temporary fix and that was about 12 months ago. It still seems to be holding together, even if it does have a big ugly MIG weld on the back!

Same as mine, baffles are rattling around in there. It defo is a poor quality item no doubt. My mate had a cobra backbox on his ep3 and came away at the stamp exactly the same as mine. Just seems poor quality materials and issues in the forming is the problem. I've wrapped all my previous exhausts (Scorpion, custom, superspint, OE etc) without issue.

Tags: