broken key / ignition barrel cylinder removal

Started by andys14, January 7, 2020, 22:02

andys14

hi all,

I have the last cm or so of my key snapped off in the ignition barrel, still works fine using the other part of the broken key but obvs need to sort it asap. I've got a replacement key cut but Im struggling to get the broken bit out.

Does anybody know how to remove the key barrel cylinder?

I've been searching but not found a lot of info, other than you need the key in the ignition barrel, in the ACC position. what else is involved to get it out??

thanks in advance!

mr2garageswindon

Hi, Usually there will be a small pin that needs to be depressed when in the acc position and it should slide right out.
I haven't had to do a MK3 mr2 yet but expect its the same.

normanh

Havent done this on a 2 but years ago I had similar on a 405, the key snapped as I switched on leaving the whole blade in the barrel. Now with this in place the stub of the key could still work the ignition circuit. I bought a new barrel and when it came to removing the old one I was fully expecting to have to drill it off but to my surprise it simply pulled out of the column in a particular position - that I cant remember what it was so long back. Once the barrel was removed it was simple to remove the blade - you might be lucky here. I did install the new barrel as I couldnt return it at the time.

Norman

Tags: