Front Drop Link Problem

Started by tets, December 31, 2019, 08:13

tets

Finally got back to the unit after having a few weeks not being able to get down there!

Anyway, got the new front arms on ok and everything going great until the drop links. Got 2 new sets fortunately (one for the standard bushes and got a set with polybushes)

The first (with standard bushes), I tightened the top nut and then on tightening the bottom one I basically got to the end of the thread before it got tight and it threaded so I couldn't get it off!
Grinder out and try a different link (not the same brand) and go gently but same result.

Took it off and retried with the polybushes (incase the standard new bushes were inferior) but same result - got to the end of the thread before it tightened sufficiently.

Now unless i've turned into the Hulk recently, they just don't feel tight enough before I get to the end of the thread. I've read a couple of posts on here where people have only 10mm of thread showing after fitting and others look similar to mine.
I did the rear's and didn't have any concerns that I remember.

Any steer would be appreciated

cheers
Steve

Ardent

Are all the others bits in place?

If I am looking at the right pic, as it pops out underneath the arm. There should be a retainer - cushion - retainer then the nut.
Also the torque setting for the nut is 18nm. 13ft/lbs or naff all.

Edit.
Plus retainer and cushion above

Ardent

tets

Brilliant mate - neither of my sets of links came with an extra retainer (just 2) but I have spares so all good!!

Greatly appreciated
Steve

Ardent

tets

Now here's a pic of what is supplied and the bit that's missing (in the middle)

The bit that's missing is totally different to the other 2 retainers as it locates both bushes in it's recess.

Wonder how many people have done what I did originally and just put on whats supplied and cranked it up to the end of the thread!

Bossworld

Neither of the aftermarket ones I bought came with that middle metal retainer, though it did seem to locate in the groove in the wishbone OK without.  Assuming you held onto the flats area with a spanner as you tightened it should still have been OK, but glad you're sorted.

normanh

I put the old cup back on and I when I torqued up the new one it appears the rubbers are much softer than the originals, not much is visible when torqued up.

Norman

Ardent

They must be very soft as the torque is quiet low. Not much more than a good hand tight. 18nm

normanh

i was thinking of putting the old rubbers back on as it was the balljoints in my links that were worn. they did torque to the correct value as i bought myself a new 3/8 drive wrench.

Norman

normanh

Just had my MOT for the 2 on Friday, got an advisory on the drop link bushes being worn - too soft I think, same as the ones on the thread by Tets. Need to replace these rubbish bushes, had a strong feeling these would be a problem. Any one have any experience of Fensports/SuperPro PU bushes these are competitively priced compared to others online? Seen some they £30 plus almost £7 for post!

Ardent

@tets @normanh

Starting to get lost in the multiple threads of a sim nature.
Having bought the yaris arms (which are generally well received on here) the same supplier (energised) that for the drop links are not, so bit worried now.
The Mr T drop link part number 48820 17050 (RH) 48810 (LH) seem to be made by many.
If there is anything in a name, I may go with the delphi brand, had those for the rear and were with out issue.
Is worrying the very thing that I am trying to bring back up to spec, the bushes. Seem to be the weak point of the new items above.
I would rather pay once and have the correct item.

tets

I've got to say the bushes do seem soft - with very little torque the bushes compress very easily. I do have a set of poly bushes and although they aren't allowed in my race class I would use them on a road car.
Next year when I move up a class I'll definitely be using the poly ones

Tags: