Steering lock failure

Started by MrChris, December 14, 2019, 20:27

MrChris

Can anyone tell me if the "steering lock failing to engage" is a known issue on MR2s? Looking at one soon where the owner is telling me the steering lock doesn't work. Is this a problem? If so, is it easy/cheap to fix?

Many thanks in advance! :)

Carolyn

It's very easy to get to.  The fix will depend on what's stuck/broken in the mechanism.  You should be able to rescue the lock barrel should you have to replace the lock body. So re-keying won't be an issue.

Not come across it on an MR before, though.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

MrChris

Hi Carolyn, thank you for the advice. Good to know it's easy to get to. I've done a fair bit of work on cars (usually around servicing/brakes etc.) but this is completely new to me. Re-keying or replacing the mechanism sounds like it could be a right pain though?

Ardent

@MrChris

In answer to your question, and as per Carolyn, this is not a known issue.
The search is your friend, fairly sure there is a "how to" on re-programming.

MrChris

I seem to remember there being a reprogramming from when i got a spare key previously. I think i involved opening the car doors in a pattern, rubbing your stomach and patting your head... Something like that.

Guess I'll take a punt on this as doesn't sound like anything catastrophic. Best case its actually fine. Worst case it'll need replacing and shouldn't be the end of the world.

Thanks both for your input.

Carolyn

The steering lock is a purely mechanical device and it's not part of the electronic immobiliser/central locking system.  So re-programming is not going to do anything.

Once you've got the plastic surround off, the job is easy enough for someone good with the spanners.

Ignition barrels are generally easy to remove, once you got access.

In fact, if it's only the steering lock and all the other security stuff is working... I'd leave it alone.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: