Starting an engine for first time after a re-build?

Started by JB21, November 29, 2019, 14:07

JB21

Not necessarily a re-build for the 2ZZ but the cams and lifters have been changed along with all the engine ancillaries so the engine is dry of oil. So how do I go about starting it back up for the first time? The obvious issue is oil getting around the engine quick enough. I was thinking of pulling the injector plug on the fuel rail and cranking the starter to get the oil pump going, but not so sure it will get enough pressure to move the oil upwards.

Thoughts?

thetyrant

As you say you need to stop it starting while winding it over on starter to build oil pressure, disconnect injectors and coils and wind away until oil light goes out, make sure you have a good well charged battery so starter has plenty of speed as can take a little while to pump oil around, low oil pressure light is usually set around 7-10psi which should possibly to get that during cranking especially as not a full dry build, obviously get plenty of oil onto cams etc before refitting rocker cover to protect as long as possible.

Hope it all goes ok :D
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Joesson

Would removing the spark plugs help ?

JB21

Quote from: Joesson on November 29, 2019, 14:24Would removing the spark plugs help ?

That would make sense mate, easier for the engine to rotate with less compression.

Carolyn

Definitely spark plugs out.

Whizz the hell out of it. 

Let it rest, whizz it again. 

It's called 'priming the engine'.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

m1tch

Also add some engine assembly oil when taking anything apart - its super thick and sticks to the part until the engine oil can get there.

Tags: