Beginner resources for rebuilding an engine (2zz)

Started by househead, November 16, 2019, 20:51

househead

So I've basically decided loosely on my end-point, performance-wise...

- Rebuilt 2zz with performance cams
- Rotrex supercharger
- Standalone ECU
- Custom exhaust

This is going to take me a while. Firstly I'm still enjoying the car as it is and secondly, I want to take my time along the way.

Probably I'll do this in two stages ... 2zz swap, then later supercharge it. Not decided at which point I'll slap the standalone ECU in and get a mapping done, yet. Potentially will use the 2zz ECU in the first instance.

So my first step will be to source the engine and strip it down for a rebuild, taking my time over it (6 months minimum).

Considering I'm pretty much an absolute beginner, can anyone suggest any good resources (books, websites, online courses etc) that would be useful as a starting point?
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

shnazzle

Engine work, isn't really a book-learning kind of thing but having said that:

I'm  a huge fan (and gold member) of HP Academy. I've done a lot of their courses at some expense and they are excellent. The forum and help from the team is epic.

https://www.hpacademy.com/courses/learn-how-to-build-engines/

And this YouTube series is quite hardcore and based on american muscle but VERY thorough.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnNvjsdE7fTO3kLd5ZTTn4y5CPeExeLga

Standalone-wise, fire up the 2zz then do the standalone. Spend a good while getting it perfect for stock 2zz (months) . That'll give you a great basis for tuning with the supercharger.
...neutiquam erro.

househead

Thanks Patrick, I'll give that a look in. I think I realise I'll learn more from the actual hands on bit. Just looking to get started with some knowledge feasting as best I can so I can understand what's involved and how the general stuff works.

Will look into those resources, thanks!
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

shnazzle

Quote from: househead on November 16, 2019, 21:32Thanks Patrick, I'll give that a look in. I think I realise I'll learn more from the actual hands on bit. Just looking to get started with some knowledge feasting as best I can so I can understand what's involved and how the general stuff works.

Will look into those resources, thanks!
Even tearing down a 1zz does teach you a lot. So I definitely recommend doing that. Just so you know the order of things, difficulties, tools you need, etc.

And remember not to hone the 2zz bores ;)
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: