MR2 Roadster battery size

Started by Hamphlet, November 13, 2019, 19:44

Hamphlet

Hiya. I'm a little confused. I've just come to replace my battery and the new one is deeper than the old one and the terminals are the opposite way round. The existing battery is approx 120mm deep but the new one is 170mm deep and doesn't fit the plastic tray. I've taken the tray out and dropped the battery in whilst adjusting the wiring to the new positions. All seems to work except the retaining clamp doesn't fit due to a couple of retaining lugs spaced 127mm apart. Is it possible to get a retaining clamp and plastic tray for the larger battery? Or will I have to dremel the lugs off.

Incidentally all the websites I tried suggested this size battery for this car. Doesn't make sense.

Joesson

Sounds like the information given on the websites you looked at was incorrect.
Where did you get the battery from and did that source advise you to get that battery?
If that is the case what they have supplied is unfit for purpose and they should replace it with the correct item.
If the supplier did not advise you then I suggest that you tell them you have been given incorrect advice and  ask them to exchange it as a matter of goodwill.
In my experience when you start with something that is not right for the job and start altering things you start on a slippery slope that will only get steeper.

Topdownman

Not sure if I am remembering this right but I have vague recollection that some online guides may quote the mk2 size for mk3s.

You really need to double check the battery dimensions/terminal layout  listed against your current one before buying.

If you have the wrong size and bought it recently then its worth contacting the supplier if they listed it incorrectly?

I have a Yuasa YBX5 053 if that helps at all?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Hamphlet

Cheers Joesson

You have a good point. Strictly speaking, I was advised by their website. I plugged in all the right details and up came the wrong answer. Their fault, not mine. Having said that I've seen a number of posts from people suggesting they have got a 170mm one. It's just that no one has mentioned the clamp issue. Also, I think the existing battery may have been the wrong type as I've seen plenty of photos now with the terminals being the same way around as the new battery. I shall consider speaking to Eurocarparts in the morning and will hope that the fact that I've fitted it already doesn't cause a problem.

Hamphlet

Quote from: Topdownman on November 13, 2019, 20:18Not sure if I am remembering this right but I have vague recollection that some online guides may quote the mk2 size for mk3s.

You really need to double check the battery dimensions/terminal layout  listed against your current one before buying.

If you have the wrong size and bought it recently then its worth contacting the supplier if they listed it incorrectly?

I have a Yuasa YBX5 053 if that helps at all?

Cheers TopdownMan

Makes sense.

normanh

aThere is a lot of confusion with this battery in particular at Eurocarparts

I had a number of attempts before it was right - the one you want is simply known as Exide Excel 158 45 amp/h part no 444771580. The posts are on the way around and come with adaptors to bring them up to our size.

I purchased the lifetime warranty at the time for an extra tenner as the last Mr T barely lasted half the time the original did at 10 years.

Norman

Hamphlet

Quote from: normanh on November 13, 2019, 22:43aThere is a lot of confusion with this battery in particular at Eurocarparts

I had a number of attempts before it was right - the one you want is simply known as Exide Excel 158 45 amp/h part no 444771580. The posts are on the way around and come with adaptors to bring them up to our size.

I purchased the lifetime warranty at the time for an extra tenner as the last Mr T barely lasted half the time the original did at 10 years.

Norman

Yes and they're not alone. Over half the websites I checked (including Halfords) gave the wrong size. Amazingly Kwikfit got it right, along with Varta and National Tyres.

normanh

Its not just the size that need to be considered its the post positions as some are reversed and the leads wont reach.

Norman

Petrus

My take on it  8)

Terminals on the correct side.

Petrus

Quote from: mr2noob on November 15, 2019, 16:30
Quote from: Petrus on November 15, 2019, 14:24Terminals on the correct side.

Huh, my terminals are reversed.

Google - mr2 spyder battery - images

normanh

Like I said be careful its not just size.

Norman

Petrus

As you know I dropped a 0.8 kilo LiFe moped-battery into mine.
Being out of the runing myself, the car was parked for two weeks. Just about all nights around freezing. Yesterday morning, the car still only half thawed out, I thought bring the car to life to charge the LiFe.
No issue. Started as brisquely as ever. Since this type of battery charges very much more rapidly and despite being slowed down the alternator delivers 14.2V at tick over, 5 minutes is enough.

Tags: