Removing fog lights

Started by househead, November 8, 2019, 14:43

househead

So I'm halfway through installing the LED DRL Garage59 (Vinstar) fogs, and I'v hit a snag ... how do I get the old fog lights out? They seem to be held in by some rubbery compound. Now I know for a fact these are not the original fogs as they were replaced a few years back (not by me).

I'm following the howto here...

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=65007.msg762140#msg762140

Which is really great apart from the fact it somewhat glosses over the bit I'm stuck on!

"When you remove your old fogs you'll realise how simply they fit, and the new kit comes with like-for-like fixings."

Anyone know how I pop the old ones out?
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

househead

Never mind ... looks like previous installer got handy with a Stanley knife and a tube of silicon. I'll follow the same bad example!

househead

So from a physical point of view, I got there in the end with the fitting, but I've failed somewhere on the wiring because the DRL aspect of the lights isn't working for some reason, and then it got dark. Fog lights work, but that aspect didn't require any splicing.

Think I'll ditch the scotchblocks and get my crimping kit / soldering iron out tomorrow when it's light again.

househead

Unsurprisingly this was a bad 12v +ve connection. Checked using a multimeter. The included scotchlocks are not very good. Had some two piece ones left over from a lighting project so used those. All sorted. Very pleased.

Tags: