Brake expertise sought

Started by Petrus, November 6, 2019, 01:01

Petrus

I do nót like the ABS system.

I have read mentions of it being taken out, even balance valves being mounted but I can nót find any technical information on the system or schematics even.

Simplisticly put I would like to replace the ABS pump by a manual balance valve, aka prortioning valve, as that would in itself not be complicated: It is basically two lines in from the master cilinder and four out to the wheels with clever electronically governed pump in between if ´needed´ but I would like some sturdy ice under my feet befóre I delete the system.

Any brake expertise here or perhaps detailed info/schematics in the workshop manual?

Ardent

A pm will be heading your way

Ardent

Petrus

Question answered; much obliged.

thetyrant

I work in the brake industry (competition pads mainly but also helping spec and setup race cars) and removing the ABS needs to be approached with much caution, not just from a safety/legal point of view but also as it quite often has an impact on brake bias control, some cars in particular (mk3 M x5 for example) use the ABS for brake bias control 100% to limit rear brake pressure under normal use, pulling fuse on those cars (which racers do) makes it go 50/50 brake line pressure front to rear which is not good without extra control.

Just fitting a manual adjustable  brake bias valve also isnt often enough as it just alters the shape of the brake pressure curve but quite often not the actual peak pressure, so generally just softening the initial pressure when you first press pedal but as you stay on it the pressure catches up to front, not ideal.

Ive found the ABS on MR2 pretty reasonable really only getting involved when needed, when it does its fairly non-intrusive just dealing with the skidding wheel, unlike some cars ive had which feel like they are letting all 4 corners off when one starts to approach limit of traction, my old Porsche Boxter for example was terrible for that and worst ABS setup ive used on track at least.

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

shnazzle

As a side note; I love that about this Club. We've literally got industry experts onboard.
So cool
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Looked at the OEM set up and figure it should be possible to ´simply´ replace the ABS pump with the bias valve.
At 5:04 it shows in a Spirit video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbjSVa242hc

First step is pull the ABS system plugs and see what happens. Theoretically only the ABS fault lamps should light up but as the wheel speed sensors are an integral aspect of this, that máy affect other logic.

Thanks Tyrant.
The logic of the ABS indeed covers rather sophisticated brake characteristics.
I am still very much on the fence.
At the moment it is a rather clear NO!

Tags: