TTE exhaust - repacking viability?

Started by Bossworld, October 28, 2019, 16:30

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on October 28, 2019, 22:43
Quote from: Bossworld on October 28, 2019, 20:40
Quote from: Tomo70 on October 28, 2019, 20:35Cos
Quote from: Bossworld on October 28, 2019, 20:05
Quote from: shnazzle on October 28, 2019, 19:51You mentioned that yours has been deemed louder than other TTEs. That changes things a bit.

Then it becomes a cost/benefit thing.
Repacking may cost a pretty penny (I recall something around 150ish) but when it's open I'd be more concerned about possibly having a leak in those crap welds. That's not uncommon.
So maybe opening it up, repacking and potentially fixing any duff welds is worth it for you if yours is knackered. Also makes it more sellable if you would come to that decision.

There's always DIY option. Cut it open, restuff it with quality fibre mats, and take it to nearest welder to shut. Probably a quarter the price.

I honestly don't know Pat. At warm idle I don't think it's particularly louder than my mum's single one, which is why I'm concerned that cold idle may not show much difference (via a vis househead's post). As above I'm not racing a cold engine or similar.

As mentioned by Joesson it could just be an age thing and having already thrown a pretty penny at getting the replacement flange I don't want to spend silly money on maintaining a 14 year old exhaust.

I suppose this is going to come down to three things I'm not in control of

* Cost
* Is it in serviceable condition to be rewelded shut?
* Is a single exit going to be sufficiently quieter to quell the raised concern, as per wotugunnado's rather pertinent point?

Cost me £60 to have mine re packed. It made a great difference to the noise inside the car too.

Tom

Would you be able to share where you got that done Tom? I'm not averse to taking it off the car while it's off road and taking it in somewhere minus the tips.

I may be mis remembering but I think you said it sounded loud when I came past yours to get those shockers earlier in the year?
If you do find a location near us that does it for closer to 60,. I'm having mine done too!
Just give Super Mario a ring, I'm sure he'll fettle it.😂
60% of the time it works everytime...

steve447

Just dropped in to say thank you for collating the TTE exhaust info in one thread.  I picked up a used one for cheap that needed a quick weld repair and loved it with my 1ZZ for a few years.  I couldn't imagine a better sounding spyder with a  1zz than that.  When I swopped in a 2zz last year the TTE was much louder and now I can see from the internal pictures it's also a significant restriction on flow for the 2zz,  I really like the twin tail pipe look so I'm planning to replace the center section with a Magnaflow box (2.5" in and 2.25 outlets) and use the TTE pipes.

Ardent

Like your thinking and probably the better option.

But just to put it out there, have you considered having the original innards re-plumbed?

steve447

I think by the time I've replumbed I'd be better off buying new from a cost and reliability point.  That said I must say there are some great resonances that make it sound special for a 4 banger (both in 1zz and 2zz form).  The TTE Remus guys stumbled (engineered?) on something special in my opinion.

Bossworld

Inside the outlet / connections to the tailpipes if anyone cares

Tags: