Earth wire for headlights

Started by swinglow81, October 23, 2019, 23:44

swinglow81

Hi guy's and girl's does anyone know where the earth for the head lights is as have spent a futune on bulbs thinking I bought dud ones only for the expensive ones not to work either Ahhhhh!! Id be better off putting in match sticks at the mo. Ive checked here and google and can't find anything so took it in to local garage who say at least 120 notes if can do it in an hr and thats if its only bad earth nothing else and they can't fit me in till next Wednesday and as I work nights I need my car any help would be great thanks in advance people

gazza1286

To solve this problem, you will need to possess a multimeter and/or rig up a test light.
Links to wiring diagrams are below:

http://www.testroete.com/car/Toyota/mr2%20spyder/Repair%20Information/Wiring%20Diagrams/09%20-%20System%20Circuits/

There's plenty of generic videos on YouTube which will help educate yourself. Car wiring problems of this type aren't complicated. You just need to confirm signal and continuity.

Good luck.

paulj

The wiring diagrams sometimes show an American version with the added complication of daytime running lights. Beware of this.

As already advised, a multimeter or a test light will help you.  From your bulb wiring socket you should have one earth, one live for headlamp and one live for full beam. In my PFL these are in one socket but I think the FL models have separate headlamp and full beam bulbs.

Check for volts where expected (or your test lamp lighting).  If volts are present as expected then check the quality of earth by measuring resistance to a good metal point on the chassis or where you can see earth wires bolted down.  You are looking for a very low resistance.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

mr2garageswindon

I take it you have checked the headlight fuses first?

swinglow81

Yea its defo not the fuse. Its a fl yea he did checked with a metre at units and its fine that end but when try a trace the earth all the wiring goes in to truncking and can't trace back to a earth found 2 next to the battery wondering if it's one of them. Thanks for help guys

Gaz mr-s

I can't answer your question for sure, but it reads that you are asking WHERE the earth is... rather than what's been answered above. Have you lifted the frunk for a look?  If you haven't previously, use a wider blade flat screwdriver at an angle to the clip centres & press in only 2mm.  If you push in 4mm, they're broken.

swinglow81

Just realised with all the bad weather the cubby holes had water in them so had to do mandatory unclogging behind the vents is there anything in there that could of affected it?

swinglow81

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on October 24, 2019, 12:53I can't answer your question for sure, but it reads that you are asking WHERE the earth is... rather than what's been answered above. Have you lifted the frunk for a look?  If you haven't previously, use a wider blade flat screwdriver at an angle to the clip centres & press in only 2mm.  If you push in 4mm, they're broken.
Hi mate yea I've looked under there found 2 but they dont do the lights

gazza1286

If the existing earth wire for the headlights lacks continuity, just add a new length of flex from the fitting to the body shell.

Tags: