Sump plug washer confusion

Started by househead, October 19, 2019, 21:32

househead

Today I did an oil change and I didn't switch out my sump plug washer.

I'm out at the theatre tonight but before leaving I checked the cardboard I left under my car and she's got a slight drippy leak from the sump plug. Left more cardboard under it at the theatre and it's still dripping (I did make sure to wipe it down before refitting + refilling).

I have a sump plug and washer which I got off eBay but I'm confused about how it goes on. The plug (which is listed as fitting our car) came with two washers, one fabric or plastic type one, and one "crush" type one like the ones on this eBay listing ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/283448314402

Do I fit one or both of these washers and if both, which way around?

Once I know, I'll drain it tomorrow, refit and put the oil back in. It's only a very very slight drip so should be fine overnight with something to catch the drips.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Call the midlife!

Quote from: househead on October 19, 2019, 21:32Today I did an oil change and I didn't switch out my sump plug washer.

I'm out at the theatre tonight but before leaving I checked the cardboard I left under my car and she's got a slight drippy leak from the sump plug. Left more cardboard under it at the theatre and it's still dripping (I did make sure to wipe it down before refitting + refilling).

I have a sump plug and washer which I got off eBay but I'm confused about how it goes on. The plug (which is listed as fitting our car) came with two washers, one fabric or plastic type one, and one "crush" type one like the ones on this eBay listing ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/283448314402

Do I fit one or both of these washers and if both, which way around?

Once I know, I'll drain it tomorrow, refit and put the oil back in. It's only a very very slight drip so should be fine overnight with something to catch the drips.
Maybe try backing it off a touch and re torquing it and see if it seats better? I've reused sump washers before plenty of times without issue.
60% of the time it works everytime...

househead

Might be a plan that mate, gotta be worth a shot before the hassle of draining etc.

I did reuse the washer last time and although at the time I was convinced it didn't leak, I had put my nappy straight back which of course obscures any tiny leaks like this.

Cheers mate.

P.s. as your signature states, 60% of the time it works every time :) love that.

gazza1286

Generic sump washers aren't worth the risk. I've also bought so called 'genuine' Toyota ones off eBay (which were junk). Original items from the dealer have never failed in 30yrs so I've no intention of using alternatives in the future. Be very careful with overtorquing your sump nut. It's no real hastle to dump the oil and start again.

househead

Yea, definitely won't overtorque it @gazza1286 , I'll just back it up and reseat it as @Call the midlife! suggests. I'm wary of damaging the thread in my sump. As it's only a tiny leak I'm hoping this might work otherwise I'll get an OEM washer and redo it.

The plug and washer I got wasn't labelled as oem or toyota itself, it's a GSF car parts branded "standard" item. The plug itself looks of decent quality to me. Never having seen the oem washer (the one on there now almost certainly isn't), it's difficult for me to compare. Thanks for your advice.

Edit: is there somewhere good online I can get these oem parts from like the sump plug washer? Mr2ben sells them but I don't think I can bring myself to pay £4.13 (posted) for one tiny little fabric washer. I'm guessing dealer might charge similar, maybe without the postage but almost certainly with a decent wedge of markup. It's not big money but the principle of it!

wotugonado

Find a local motor factors, mine sells a multi pack of various sump washers for a couple of quid.
Also a mistake I made was to leave the original washer still attached to the sump, it was stuck on so tight it looked like part of the sump.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

househead

Yep, I'd read the warnings about "I had no sump washer" I can see how they get stuck there easily, especially the fabric ones (mine currently had/has a metal one which I guess is far less likely to stick on removal)

wotugonado

I had a copper washer. My mechanic insisted it was a washer, I assured him it was part of the sump...... I was wrong.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Carolyn

Quote from: househead on October 20, 2019, 11:29Yep, I'd read the warnings about "I had no sump washer" I can see how they get stuck there easily, especially the fabric ones (mine currently had/has a metal one which I guess is far less likely to stick on removal)

I'm afraid they all stick to the sump eventually.  A good fresh copper washer is all you need.  If in doubt, get it hot and quench it.  That will soften it up.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

househead

Just retorqued it and got the engine nice and warm and moved my cardboard. No leaks as yet. Gonna let it sit for a couple of hours. Ahh the waiting game.

I think like @Carolyn that in general I'd trust a metal washer over a fabric/plastic one. Not sure why Mr T would choose the latter over the former.

househead

Solved by a reseat, no more drips!

Thanks to all.

james_ly

Ah that explains why I 'had no washer', must still be stuck to the sump. Oh well, it's not leaking..
MR2 gone<br />GT86

Tags: