clutch engages too low (when hot)

Started by inside, October 13, 2019, 18:44

inside

I spotted clutch engagement point issue at the beginning of the year, when system was also bled. At the time master cylinder rod was adjusted max extended, to get nice shifting (with hindsight: probably not a good idea).

Yesterday on track, when the car got hot, I wasn't able to shift smoothly anymore, because the clutch wasn't disengaging completely when pedal was on the floor.

Now with the cold car, shifting is normal, but once it gets hot, clutch doesn't disengage completely so shifting is not smooth in higher revs.

My plan is to get system (master/slave cylinders) bled this week, however I'm a little worried because the master rod cylinder rod for pedal adjustment is already max.extended - would like to dial it back, so that slave can breath back when clutch is released...

Anyone else had a problem with that?

Carolyn

Quote from: inside on October 13, 2019, 18:44I spotted clutch engagement point issue at the beginning of the year, when system was also bled. At the time master cylinder rod was adjusted max extended, to get nice shifting (with hindsight: probably not a good idea).

Yesterday on track, when the car got hot, I wasn't able to shift smoothly anymore, because the clutch wasn't disengaging completely when pedal was on the floor.

Now with the cold car, shifting is normal, but once it gets hot, clutch doesn't disengage completely so shifting is not smooth in higher revs.

My plan is to get system (master/slave cylinders) bled this week, however I'm a little worried because the master rod cylinder rod for pedal adjustment is already max.extended - would like to dial it back, so that slave can breath back when clutch is released...

Anyone else had a problem with that?

I'd change the fluid for new.  Sounds like it has taken up some water.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

inside

I've just replaced the clutch, and things are now back to normal. Nice engagement point, half-less travel than before, and silky smooth shifting!

The old pressure plate started to broke on few places at the outer edge, blades where uneven... this is what caused it hard to disengage completely!

Tags: