Loose dipstick tube

Started by Dudi, September 19, 2019, 22:09

Dudi

My 2zz track car has a loose dipstick tube. The o-ring wasn't in the best shape which I replaced and pushed back into the hole in the engine block however I'm assuming it's lost a bolt(s) which holds it in place. I can spot the bracket but there's no way I can access to put a new bolt in without dropping the engine.

Does anyone know if it's just the bolt holding the upper part of the tube or whether there's also a bolt where it inserts the engine block (like my BMW Z4 which I also had to replace the dipstick o-ring on recently) ?

Call the midlife!

There's two retaining brackets on the guide tube, the one on the top where it also holds the O2 sensor connection and head cover.
Then one around halfway along the length that goes to the block.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Call the midlife!

Not sure how much help it'll be, if any but the photo shows the mounting bracket beside the thermostat housing.
You might be able to reach up to it from underneath, I know you can see the thermostat housing from under the car.You cannot view this attachment.

Dudi

Thank you : )

I think the 2ZZ one is slightly different and I think it's just the upper retaining bolt. Will give it a go this weekend, trackday on monday!

Call the midlife!

Oh yeah, that bit in the first line that  clearly says 2zz... 😂 oops.

Carolyn

It was my understanding that part of the job of inserting a 2ZZ into a roadster, is to swap the dipstick tube for a 1ZZ one....??
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Dudi

Quote from: Carolyn on September 20, 2019, 16:59It was my understanding that part of the job of inserting a 2ZZ into a roadster, is to swap the dipstick tube for a 1ZZ one....??

That's incorrect. The 1ZZ needs to be bent and the oil reading is inaccurate (I own another 2ZZ MR2 with this approach) whereas the 2ZZ tube is clear.

Carolyn

Quote from: Dudi on September 20, 2019, 18:45
Quote from: Carolyn on September 20, 2019, 16:59It was my understanding that part of the job of inserting a 2ZZ into a roadster, is to swap the dipstick tube for a 1ZZ one....??

That's incorrect. The 1ZZ needs to be bent and the oil reading is inaccurate (I own another 2ZZ MR2 with this approach) whereas the 2ZZ tube is clear.

Thanks for that.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: